• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shop teacher ?

Rockwells607

I know someone on here took a job as a metal shop or fab teacher , I don't recall who but I'm trying to get a job teaching the machine and fab program , they are revamping it and wanna get some tube bending , welding and fab work in with he machine work. I'd like to chat with whoever took the job and see what they think and what kind of projects their workin on

What kind of questions do you have? Also won't work is a welding teacher. I teach auto mechanics. Our projects at the moment are

1- 71 blazer LS swap
2- 81 cj7 ton swap, four link rear, LS/350-205 swap
3- 78 f100 2wd to 4wd conversion with super duty axles.
4- 72 suburban morphing with an 03 Tahoe drivetrain, interior, etc
5- 68 camaro drag car 572 fuel injection addition.

Coming in the next couple of weeks

Cj8 scrambler LS swap-th350-Dana 300 swap for Locnroll on here.

Sounds like a 8) school the school i went to in high school we worked on the same cars everyday if someone didn't bring one in and that was rare thumb.gif

What's the name of you program or class ? They want to change it currently from machine trades to something more eye catching to kids . Also what do you do with projects when finished ? Sell, auction ? Are you allowed to do work for customers and the money goes to the program ? Hey want to gear it toward fab work, welding etc. I've spoke to the boss man yesterday about the job to get my name in the Hat for it . I've showed them pictures of buggies I've built and he loves the idea , I mentioned it doesn't even hafta be buggies just something to draw the kids in, go cart , race car , buggy , chopper etc. to stimulate them and want to be in the program and a part of something

They currently have a complete machine shop , they are closing this and gonna use this building , they are up for purchasing some new equipment such as benders and Notchers and More welders. I'd like to see them keep a lot of the machines they hve but they don't need 15 lathes and mills like they currently hve. The shop already has a loadin dock and 12'x12' over head door . I've been bouncing ideas off the big man in charge for a few months

Wouldn't they be better off learning the machines and such versus fabbing buggies and that sort of stuff, I mean this as far as career paths and making money. There is a lot of jobs waiting on people now and going to get worse, another great thing would be some controls class, plants in tn pay 30 ish an hour and can't find people at all.

Yes in my opinion they would , but this school is private and paid by the school district per amount of kids they send and they hve only had 1-5 kids per class the last 5 years , it's needs revamping which is what their doing to gain attendance and excitement for the kids . If I get the job I will still push the machine end of it and also introduce fab and welding

Look up "shopteach" on pirate. He did/does a program in Ohio. They built a comp rig for we rock years ago not to mention a bunch of other cool projects.

Thanks for all the Input, they might already have a "friend " in mind for the position but I'm trying for it and pitching ideas at them

Rockwells607 said:
What's the name of you program or class ? They want to change it currently from machine trades to something more eye catching to kids . Also what do you do with projects when finished ? Sell, auction ? Are you allowed to do work for customers and the money goes to the program ? Hey want to gear it toward fab work, welding etc. I've spoke to the boss man yesterday about the job to get my name in the Hat for it . I've showed them pictures of buggies I've built and he loves the idea , I mentioned it doesn't even hafta be buggies just something to draw the kids in, go cart , race car , buggy , chopper etc. to stimulate them and want to be in the program and a part of something

Sorry been out of town at the hardline ride. They are all outside projects that belong to people. They fund them and they take them when we are done. My program is maintenance and light repair 1-4. They have to be taken sequentially. I typically stay away from any monetary donations for any work. I like supply donations. It just makes my job easier when it comes time for the end of the year check out plus there's nothing to be scrutinized.

I know someone on here took a job as a metal shop or fab teacher , I don't recall who but I'm trying to get a job teaching the machine and fab program , they are revamping it and wanna get some tube bending , welding and fab work in with he machine work. I'd like to chat with whoever took the job and see what they think and what kind of projects their workin on

My class is only a welding class but I do it way different than most around me. Most teachers teach only how to weld and run a bead. I do this but not for the 3 years I have students.
We are constantly doing live work and i run the shop more like a business type setup where you are working on anything to do with fab and welding. Currently we are building a 24' trailer, redoing a horse trailer, and straight axle swapping a toyota. We have built race cars, jeeps, roll cages, and several other things along the lines of trailer and bbq grills.

Im guessing its probably different in every area but do you need a cwi to teach weld classes? Reason I ask is there are a few places around my area that have weld classes and I often wonder what bar room they have dragged some of these so called "welders" out of. What other cred's do you need? Buddy of mine recently took a advance class and the instructor couldn't tig weld, so my friend asked him if I could go in and help him. The instructor said it was fine with him so now it has me thinking that I should look into this for some extra income. They do classes 2 days a week from 6-9pm.

It is different state to state and some of the college levels are also.

What I had to have when I started was either 7 years on the job work experience or 5 years and graduated from a 2 year technical school in my field, aws certifications in everything I was to be teaching (SMAW, FCAW, GMAW and GTAW), and once hired I had to take 5 classes within 3 years to obtain a level 2 teaching certificate. After all that was completed I was required to get a BS in career Tech education and have also added more welding/welding teacher certifications to that so that I have an equivalent to a masters teacher degree and a level 3 teaching certificate.

I have been teaching at my current job 11 years and did 1 year of assistant teacher at the local college. What I have noticed since I have been in this part of the welding industry is many of the teachers have very different backgrounds with most being pipe welders and very few like what I had. I was more along the lines of a service welder for strip pits and rock yards and done mostly big fab jobs in the field. With that being the case most only teach stick welding and don't even touch tig or wire on the high school level.

Its funny you asked this because it was a topic for some of us this weekend. I sent 3 A- students to a local comp Friday and all they had to do was weld vertical with 6010 and 7018 rod. They txt me Friday and said they had not won but the guys that did where seniors and had only been welding in a booth for 3 years with stick only. Said they didn't know how to wire weld and had never done it.

I will say this coming from the opposite side of things. I took welding at trade school during my Junior and Senior years of high school. The teacher I had was a retired SeaBee. We did odd and end jobs for the local foundry and some farm jobs. We used GMAW,SMAW and FCAW. The only process we were never taught was GTAW and honestly with enough practice in the other three, GTAW is fairly simple if you understand the machine you are using. All this being said, I wouldn't trade those years for anything! I thoroughly enjoyed the class. We did however compete in Shipyard competitions around the Gulf Coast and Alabama VICA state level competitions in Montgomery. I would absolutely love to teach a bit on the side if I could get a class of kids/adults who truly were there to learn.

Thanks for all the Input, I'll keep ya'll posted if I land the job. Keep the ideas a input coming if you have any... These type classes are a dieing breed and I'm fine with taken a pay cut from my current machinist fab job to hve summers off and teach kids a skill that can give em a career or trade or even skill for their life

Career and technical classes are a must. We need people to fill these roles and teach today's youth not only a trade, but how to work and make money. These kids now have no clue how to work. They are handed everything. Once they learn how to work you can see the sense of accomplishment. It may be different in other schools but it's how it is in the inner city school I work at.