• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shorts?

Turns and flashers all work. This is just the brake lights. And they only do it from time to time. Sometimes they work just fine. Some time they just don't work at all.

And all the wiring is from the factory, except the LED light that I've installed, which where all Plug-n-play. No sodering, no cutting, no tape.

Crash, you don't suppose the trailer connector from the HF trailer messed things up, do you? Those lights all worked fine the last time I used it, about a month ago.

Its possable harold.

If its in the trailer harness more than likely its a bad/corroded connection. I have seen where guys will rather than just tying into the circuit will cut it--then tie it into the circuit using unsealed butt connectors and it will become corroded.

Best advise is shove something on the brake pedal to keep the brakes on--hop under the back of the rig and lighly start tugging on the wiring.

Of course, to really do this, I have to wait for when they aren't working again...

Assuming it's the same bulb for the signal/ flasher which it usually is then it sounds like the bad connection is likely at the pedal switch.

But going form a fillament bulb to an LED does matter though--it changes the circuit :awesomework:

Kinda.....A circuit doesn't really change, just the current being run thru it...the reduced current of an LED could well reveal an issue (corrosion) that may have been manifesting itself with the old bulbs, but the old bulbs were drawing enough current to complete/jump the bad circuit (corrosion)...Problem here Harold is I presume you're losing ALL your brake lights (not just one or the other, or the center brake)...need to find a common connection point for this issue...either brake switch or combo sw...or BCM, or loss of serial data between BCM, ICP, PCM, or any combo of the aformentioned!!! :redneck:....:D

Kinda.....A circuit doesn't really change, just the current being run thru it...the reduced current of an LED could well reveal an issue (corrosion) that may have been manifesting itself with the old bulbs, but the old bulbs were drawing enough current to complete/jump the bad circuit (corrosion)...Problem here Harold is I presume you're losing ALL your brake lights (not just one or the other, or the center brake)...need to find a common connection point for this issue...either brake switch or combo sw...or BCM, or loss of serial data between BCM, ICP, PCM, or any combo of the aformentioned!!! :redneck:....:D

It does and it doesn't. When you look at a circuit you really should look at the whole circuit including the bulbs--thats how I aproach them..

When it happens, it is all three; both sides and the third. I just can't see this happening with a truck that's under 4 years old... I've only had it for three.

It really looks like I have a full weekend ahead of me.

FYI, the seller of the LEDs sent me a set of resistors that is supposed to help with the current issue that you mention. Think they would have sent instructions?

Should mention, Brakes working when I got home... Not sure when they started working. I don't think they were working when I got to work....

do you guys really make **** this confusing?

Beofre rebuilding the wiring harness or tearing out the dash to troub;peshoot the pedal,

just look under the bumper for the work of a hasher!!

If its OK then proceed.

do you guys really make **** this confusing?

Beofre rebuilding the wiring harness or tearing out the dash to troub;peshoot the pedal,

just look under the bumper for the work of a hasher!!

If its OK then proceed.

Your the one who thru the flashers into the mix--that confused harold even more--pot meet kettle :haha:

So the thrid brake lamp aso goes out harold?

This will help others--whenever you have a concern and you either need help or taking it in for service. Make SURE you give every bit of info you can.

See Harold stated that all 3 lamps go out--that there eliminates a whole bunch of the circuit if you are familure with how they are wired.

So the thrid brake lamp aso goes out harold?

This will help others--whenever you have a concern and you either need help or taking it in for service. Make SURE you give every bit of info you can.

See Harold stated that all 3 lamps go out--that there eliminates a whole bunch of the circuit if you are familure with how they are wired.

Yep, I thought I had mentioned that earlier. Not one or the other, but all three will stop working. Just not all the time. Like right now, I think they are working, because they were when I got home. (I back up to a solid wall and I can tell when my brakes are working)

Ok so disreagard looking at the back of the rig.

Here is what to look at.

1-Brake switch bad
2-Connection at the brake switch
3-voltage feed to the brake switch

You will find 90% of the time the problem will be in one of those areas.

So off to Shucks.... er NAPA.... er Hiway Auto Parts... The Stealership?

Oh someplace that will have the brake switch, just because if I don't need it when I get under there, I can take it back. If I do need it when I get under there, um, it's a long walk to Monroe....

But going form a fillament bulb to an LED does matter though--it changes the circuit :awesomework:

Yes I understand the bulb is part of the circuit. I put it in laymans terms to try and help the OP. What I was getting at is does the brake light share the same circuit as the signal/ flasher? If in the original rig it was one circuit then it's clearly specific to the brake circuit and the problem is up front. If in the original rig had separate circuits for the signals and brakes then the bad connection could be towards the rear of the rig.

Yes I understand the bulb is part of the circuit. I put it in laymans terms to try and help the OP. What I was getting at is does the brake light share the same circuit as the signal/ flasher? If in the original rig it was one circuit then it's clearly specific to the brake circuit and the problem is up front. If in the original rig had separate circuits for the signals and brakes then the bad connection could be towards the rear of the rig.

I think I can help some on this. For some reason, Dodge has a fuse for each side. I'm thinking that If I remove one, that side will not work at all. But, because my four ways, and turn indicators work by themselves, it must be something else. I don't recall how many wires go to each 'bulb'. And it's too late to go pulling tail lights out right now...