• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Simple ignition switch recommendations

xjtony

Trailer Park Gangsta
I bought this samurai that has an aftermarket dash with a joes racing switch panel.
joe-46125_ml.jpg

Typical master toggle switch and push button starter switch. I'm wanting to add a keyed ignition switch to it somewhere just so nobody hops in it and rolls out. I'm curious as to what ya'll recommend.

boat ignition switch, tough, easy to install and holds up to weather. Dont get one for an outboard though, they use a differnt off circuit

I never used a key because I was always afraid that I would lose the key out at the top of some mountain and have a hard time getting home. I have had a second hidden ignition switch on my last two rigs. Nothing is going to keep someone who really wants it from getting it though.

patooyee said:
I never used a key because I was always afraid that I would lose the key out at the top of some mountain and have a hard time getting home. I have had a second hidden ignition switch on my last two rigs. Nothing is going to keep someone who really wants it from getting it though.

Agree. You have the right setup, forget the key. Just add a main disconnect switch somewhere out of the way. Or a simple, hidden inline switch to the coil.

Neal3000 said:
Remvable steering wheel ftw

You can still use a locking pliers to get it onto a trailer, especially with full hydro. Or just carry a wheel with a hub on it. There's only 2 major hub connections that anyone uses that I'm aware of. Hex and splined, and the splines are all the same that I've seen.

But again, it's all just theft DETERRENCE. If someone really wants it, it's theirs.

Re: Re: Simple ignition switch recommendations

Neal3000 said:
Remvable steering wheel ftw
That don't work too well...I drove ole whitey without mine when someone locked my wheel in the truck :eek:

patooyee said:
You can still use a locking pliers to get it onto a trailer, especially with full hydro. Or just carry a wheel with a hub on it. There's only 2 major hub connections that anyone uses that I'm aware of. Hex and splined, and the splines are all the same that I've seen.

But again, it's all just theft DETERRENCE. If someone really wants it, it's theirs.

Exactly, i mean anyone with a brain could hotwire or bypass the keyed switch in a buggy in 5 mins

A good switch like the BWD should be good for you. I'd still run a bypass to a hidden toggle, just for if you loose the key or the switch starts acting up on a ride. And install a hidden master disconnect to slow any thief.

High voltage toggle.... Switch coil wire to electrode in driver's seat... Then HOPE someone tries to steal it!

Thanks for the info, i'll look into the BWD switch. I know its not hard to hot wire something, i'm just trying to keep an honest man honest. Its too easy to just push the starter button and drive off.

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
The downside to the universal switches are they use a key like a lawn mower. Flat screwdriver can turn most of them

The switch they recommended seems to have a tumbler lock like any other auto switch.
5971187_bwd_cs7_pri_larg.jpg