• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Skid Plates

ButterfaceBikeShop

Project Hoorah Buggy
Heard a few guys running a Poly Top type skid plate. Kind of like a much thicker type of meat cutting table board or cutting board. Anybody heard of this or where I might try and look? Maybe even a ball park price? Thanks for the help in advance!

I am running uhmw skids...I will be using metal ones next time...they get boogered up, especially where they bolt up.

I got mine from a plant maintainance company. He said they use it in evelator shafts. Mines a inch thick and has taken a beating. I thought the edges would splinter up and cause it to crack but hasn't yet. What I have only comes in white and impregnated with some kind of oil. Stays slick as ****!!!

I got a 4'x4' sheet of 1/2" uhmw white for $300 in Nashville. Gonn use it for bottom skid and motor skid. Expensive but aluminum was gonna be way more

I didn't use uhmw but another type that was little harder compound and I love it. I bought it from royal plastics in Dallas $200 for a 4x8 sheet 1/2" thick
I'd have to get back to you on the letters in it I just remember it was cheaper than uhmw and guy told me it was harder and better for my application so I figured I'd try it and it's working great

TripleD said:
I didn't use uhmw but another type that was little harder compound and I love it. I bought it from royal plastics in Dallas $200 for a 4x8 sheet 1/2" thick
I'd have to get back to you on the letters in it I just remember it was cheaper than uhmw and guy told me it was harder and better for my application so I figured I'd try it and it's working great
Curious as to what it is. Please post up what you find out. Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: Skid Plates

jordan7118 said:
Curious as to what it is. Please post up what you find out. Thanks!

Sounds like he's talking about HDPE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

is there an easy way to identify ar plate in a scrap yard. The local scrap yard has an abundance of metal in all shapes and sizes. I've seen everything from a 10" thick chunk of aluminum to a 5 gallon bucket full of small strips of titanium. There's no telling what you may run across and regardless of shape, form or type of metal, you just pay by the weight. Does it have identifying marks? Painted edges? FIgured at the very least I can walk around with a cordless and see what balks at drilling with a new bit

TripleD said:

Royal Plastics OR Regal Plastics? Im pretty close to Dallas and tried to google Royal....no luck. Regal yeah. Sounds like a good price and good alternative.

bbone said:
I am running uhmw skids...I will be using metal ones next time...they get boogered up, especially where they bolt up.

x2. The plastic isn't durable enough. My buggy is less than a year old and every piece of UHMW I have on it needs to be replaced. I'll be replacing it with 1/4" steel.

I see a lot of people make the mistake of picking up a piece of plastic and calling it Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene. When in fact it is not. I am using poly propylene in the 3/4 thick and it only has scratches from 4 years of wheeling. The high density PE I've seen used, gets crushed down to half it's original size or smaller. It also can tear at the bolt holes if it's thin enough.

sparepartsdave said:
is there an easy way to identify ar plate in a scrap yard. The local scrap yard has an abundance of metal in all shapes and sizes. I've seen everything from a 10" thick chunk of aluminum to a 5 gallon bucket full of small strips of titanium. There's no telling what you may run across and regardless of shape, form or type of metal, you just pay by the weight. Does it have identifying marks? Painted edges? FIgured at the very least I can walk around with a cordless and see what balks at drilling with a new bit

The stuff we used years ago was easily ID'd by a center punch & hammer, hard as heck to dimple vs hot rolled.

I have uhmw mounted to plate. The boogered up holes really aren't a big deal to me until the piece gets extremely worn. I usually just heat up the area a little wit a heat gun and cut away the bolt area with a razor blade just enough to get the bolt cleanly out. I have 1/4 steel between that and the chassis now with holes to take some weight off but I'm probably going to put a piece of AL in there eventually.

Glen1978 said:
Royal Plastics OR Regal Plastics? Im pretty close to Dallas and tried to google Royal....no luck. Regal yeah. Sounds like a good price and good alternative.

Yes sorry your right it's in Dallas for sure I live in Cleburne and mine has few runs on it and It's in good shape and with the 4x8 sheet I bought I can build another one but hawk scrap in kennadale has sheets of aluminum if you wana go that route