• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

snow wheeling w/ chains

Toyotanut

I've seen a few "wheeling" rigs in pics and out in the snow with chains on....does it really help out or is it a waste of time. Most of the rigs I have seen have been mildly built with 33"-35" tires and usually locked up in one differential only. Any reason other than the ice for running chains when out snow wheeling?

if the snow is so thick you can't hit anything under it no you don't need them but if you are hitting tree roots and other things yeah they will help

It really depends on the snow. If it's loose, powdery, blowaway stuff, chains don't help. For that type of snow you want a big wide flotation footprint. If the snow is very wet and tends to ice easily, chains help get a bite.

i use chains in heavy snow, my little 31's dont make the traction to push all my lowriders undercarrige through the snow. chains will get me hood deep though :redneck:

I know they are a lot cheaper than new tires, and I have wheeled with a few people that use them, and they have helped them a lot, my BFG MT's are really bad in wet snow, so I am going to get me a pair and see how big a difference thay make. :awesomework:

Six-Nine got around pretty good with Comp Krawlers with chains on the front (most of the day) in the snow. The chains must be good, because the Krawlers are not. The snow was wet and heavy.

Personally I hate chains. I just air down to about 3 psi and can go on just about any snow. Tire and rim choice is going to play a big part in your ability to do well in the snow. Around here we run a min 35 on 15x10 rim with most running 38 gumbos on 15x(12-15) rims and run about 2-4 pounds of air in them. Get a nice wide foot print and you just float. Most the trails around here have 6+ feet of snow on them so chains are pointless. Driver ability is also a big factor too.

Personally I hate chains. I just air down to about 3 psi and can go on just about any snow. Tire and rim choice is going to play a big part in your ability to do well in the snow. Around here we run a min 35 on 15x10 rim with most running 38 gumbos on 15x(12-15) rims and run about 2-4 pounds of air in them. Get a nice wide foot print and you just float. Most the trails around here have 6+ feet of snow on them so chains are pointless. Driver ability is also a big factor too.

that about sums it up over here

I've never chained up but there have been times in the wet slick crap that I've wished I've had them.
I've got siped 37" Blue label Krawlers and they work VERY well in the snow. I'll be at Evans on the 1st. I hope we get lots of fresh snow!!!!

Chains are ok if you can dig to traction. In deeper snow they can give you that paddle tire effect but you need wheel speed and momentum and once you start to dig it's over. for extreme deep snow 4'+ they are worthless, you are better off trying to float on top.

For snow, big wide tires and a light rig has always worked the best for me. I have 12.50 TSL's now, my 13.50 Iroks were much better in the snow. I also had less tube and metal on my rig when I was running the Iroks too, which may have played a small part.

Chains work well if you're on a road that's iced over, but the rest of the time they just don't help that much.

Reds or Blues? Until I blew a bead, I was pretty happy with how my 37" blues worked once I dropped below 5 psi.

ALL Reds are Bad, ALL Blues are good/ok. Isn't this common knowledge by now? No offense intended......

And Yes, I've run, and seen ran, both.