• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Square vs round

BamaJim

What's the difference between square tubing to make a link suspension and the DOM stuff I keep hearing about? it seems like steel is steel, and strong is strong. Is this DOM really that much better? I mean if I break it, it costs 30 bucks to fix square tubing, and 130 to fix DOM. seems to me it a name brand thing, and not a necessity . Any thoughts?

How you gonna tap square tubing? Or how you gonna get round tubing bungs to fit in square tubing? :wtflol: maybe they make square bungs :dunno:

B.DRAKE said:
How you gonna tap square tubing? Or how you gonna get round tubing bungs to fit in square tubing? :wtflol: maybe they make square bungs :dunno:

Yes..."they" do make them....Ballistic for one. Several places posted on pirate to get them also
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Tube-Adapters_c_7.html

Yes you can use round adapters for square stock....hammer the damn things in and weld the **** out of them. (Thats what I'd do anyway)

Something to read....
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Links/

More reading material: (if you can wade through the bullshit.)
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-9487288772798986%3A0059040289&ie=UTF-8&q=square+links
I looked at this a while ago (I have a bunch of square laying around.) I think it actually came down to looks rather than anything.

Yes you can use round adapters for square stock....hammer the damn things in and weld the **** out of them. (Thats what I'd do anyway)

molaugh yea that would work awesome ;D
Guess I shoulda done some research first just haven't ever seen any square tubing used for links before, I personally would never use it :dblthumb:

i have used 2x2 1/4 wall for links and alot of my friends have also. they work good and are cheap, they just aren't as pretty as round :puke:. i use 6061T6 aluminum and it is close to the same price but seems to bend less.

B.DRAKE said:

molaugh yea that would work awesome ;D

Gotta do what you can when you're poor..... :****: (although it might not look awesome)

I've been running 2x2 1/4" wall for a couple years with no problems using Ballistic's square tube adapters. They fit the budget at the time and got the job done. If you don't like the way they look then don't look at'em... :flipoff1:

Are aesthetics your only reason drake? If done nicely and painted, they look good enough, and are strong. If you keep those vertical walls aiming vertical they are extremely hard to bend. Very robust, cheap as hell and not a complete abortion to look at. Now, if you're building something you plan on getting 40k out of, don't use them. Use HT cromo or 7075. If you're just trying to get in the woods and then not break once you're there, use square. It is stronger than pipe or mechanical tubing and much cheaper than DOM.

Sorry guess I shoulda kept my opinion to myself. I don't doubt it being strong I just haven't ever seen it

Get you some 2 1/4 7075 aluminum links and be done with it.I just made 2 complete sets this week, I use 6061 on the uppers my bandsaw would cut them in 1 min 56 seconds. The lowers are 7075 it took 7 mins58 seconds to cut it. Just thought that was a good reference of strength

Square doesn't look bad if you paint it and do it right. Clayton makes long arm kits for Jeeps and they use square. There stuff comes powdercoated and it looks damn nice.

X2 on Clayton. Only company I know that sells square kits but I know several people that have used it, beat the **** out of it and it held up just fine. I'm building mine from square if I ever get the time to finish it. Got all the parts and one arm tacked together so far. I like the look, personally. :****:

Elliott said:
Get you some 2 1/4 7075 aluminum links and be done with it.I just made 2 complete sets this week, I use 6061 on the uppers my bandsaw would cut them in 1 min 56 seconds. The lowers are 7075 it took 7 mins58 seconds to cut it. Just thought that was a good reference of strength
I think the argument for square is in the $5/ft range or less. The last time I bought 2" 7075 it was $21/ft just for the material. Drilling and tapping is $20 a hole, or do it yourself and don't mess up. That said I'm a fan of AL, but if you can't swing it, you can't swing it.

B.DRAKE said:
Sorry guess I shoulda kept my opinion to myself. I don't doubt it being strong I just haven't ever seen it

YEA ........you RAZOR DRIVING DODO HEAD :flipoff1:...............NAW...........I have seen LOTS of square toobin linked rigs WORKIN JUST FINE :dblthumb:

2X2 Square tube is what I'm useing on mine. If your on a tight budget like me this the way to go! :****: