• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

steering fluid dilemma? (toyota)

toyodaaddict

I'm using a 22r steering pump and an fj80 steering gear on my zuk project. The fj80 gear was not cheap and it appears to have ps fluid in it. Do I dare drain it and refill with ATF as recommended? The last thing I want is to ruin the gear. I know changing fluids isnt good, What do you guys think? I need a push to do something. Thanks:beer:

When I was installing my trackick set up one manual said ATF while another said ps fluid and after asking around using ps fluid was the best way.

I want to say the 4runner gear box I got at the junk yard had ATF in it... fluid was redish color. I drained it as best I could before I installed it on my truck and I am using parts store PS fluid now with no issues... its been a good 8 months since I installed all the parts. Time will tell but its a factory Toyota pump I got from Chop and I have no clue how old it is. I don't think mixing a small amount of ATF with PS fluid is going to hurt anything at all. :redneck:

I dont like ATF because of past problems it has caused me with saginaw boxes and gm pumps on street cars.

I religiously use Royal Purple in ALL steering systems I put together now. Custom, stock, hydro etc.

The temps are much lower.

Im not a miracle oil kinda guy. I dont run fancy synthetic oil etc.

But royal purple in steering and rear axles of tow rigs is money WELL SPENT. :awesomework:

Ive read alot about the seals becoming conditioned for one or the other, thats my concern. I dont want the thing springing a leak. Maybe thats been a little hyped up. It doesnt sound like you guys have had alot of issues changing fluids.

Chop shop, what kind of trouble has ATF caused you? Just curious. Im up for trying the royal purple, Its a synthetic right?

ATF does not have the same lube/cooling/antifoaming properties as actual P/S fluid does under the pressures it will be running...Sure, they're both hydraulic fluids, but the A/T will typically have a max pressure of around 250 or so (depending on application), whereas the P/S systems run upwards of 1200psi in full psi situations (again, depending on application)...
Take what Choppy said as truth. At least use a GOOD quality P/S fluid if you find it hard to bite the bullet for R.P. :awesomework:

ATF does not have the same lube/cooling/antifoaming properties as actual P/S fluid does under the pressures it will be running...Sure, they're both hydraulic fluids, but the A/T will typically have a max pressure of around 250 or so (depending on application), whereas the P/S systems run upwards of 1200psi in full psi situations (again, depending on application)...
Take what Choppy said as truth. At least use a GOOD quality P/S fluid if you find it hard to bite the bullet for R.P. :awesomework:
Thats good to know. My knowledge of Atf/ps goes about as far as ones red and ones clear:D Ive always just assumed Atf was superior because thats what toyota recomends. I'll go with the royal purple for sure and if theres a noticeable difference I'll switch all my trucks over. Thanks for the input everyone:beer:

Latest posts