• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Suggestions on rear Dana 60 Upgrade

cadpwrdyj

I need to fix my rear Dana 60 that I broke this weekend, I broke one shaft and twisted the splines on the other. Currently its a 30 spline with a spool. Wanting to go ahead and upgrade to 35 spline, and chromos. What brand axles/spool do you suggest going with, or what other suggestions do you have without replacing the whole axle. :dunno: Any help is appreciated...

Keith can get you setup. Broach the rear out to accept 35 spline and then I would go with Yukon 35 spline shafts/spool. I know lots of folks have broken 30 spline 60 stuff over and over. Rich and TK have both broke several. I believe they have broke the 30 spline Yukon's also.

cadpwrdyj said:
Cool...thanks, I will check with him and see what he can do.

NP, 30 spline 60's are just not strongh enough for what we do IMO. Jimmy from EOR broke one this weekend also on the first trail of the day. You could always go 14b and never worry about it again :woody:

Still thinking about that, but that brings in a bunch of other changes, that I don't think I want to do with the current setup. Redo link setup, truss, possibly shorten an already very short driveshaft, gears, none of which I can do myself, so I am not sure I want to do all that with the current setup. I wish I had from the start gone with a 14 bolt, but hindsight is 20/20. I think years ago when the 60 was built, they didn't offer 5.38's for a 14 bolt, but now they do or something was out of kilter for what I wanted. Thx for the educated input as usual...hopefully Chromos and 35 splines will do for a while.

Isnt the snout shorter on a 14B over a D60? Pretty sure it is, so your d-line would be slightly longer.

I was thinking it was longer, never really measured just going by visual memory. If that's the case, then that fix's my biggest worry. I'm gonna have to rethink the 14 bolt over the beefing up the 60.

upgrade it to a 14b. thumb.gif

hell, my 14b is bent like a damn pretzel and it just won't break. LOL.

probably oughta spend $100 and get another one and swap it out.

blacksheep10 said:
14b snout is shorter. by like over an inch. wish I had my measurements here. when we swapped wyatt's rear out we took out a 60 and put in a 14. the shaft was long travel HAD and almost didn't have enough spline in to run.

and that how I know. Its about 1.75"s shorter. or at least thats how much more shaft I have sticking out. The snout if centered up is still to the right of where the D60 snout would be. Does that make sense? So on mine the d-line not only drops but runs out to the passenger side a bit.

Thanks for all the great info...I think the easiest thing and most cost effective would be to possibly borrow the "Boring Tool" and get a 35 spline spool and shafts for the 60 and let her eat. If that doesn't hold up, then I guess I will step back and get the buggy build started sooner than planned.

cadpwrdyj said:
Thanks for all the great info...I think the easiest thing and most cost effective would be to possibly borrow the "Boring Tool" and get a 35 spline spool and shafts for the 60 and let her eat. If that doesn't hold up, then I guess I will step back and get the buggy build started sooner than planned.

You will be fine with a 35 spline 60. By the time your fab new trusses and brackets it would have been cheaper just to do it yourself. I think you need it machined for 35 splines. Keith can help you with that part

i gernaded a brand new set of 35 spline yukons in my 61, if at all possible, dana70 or 14bolt. i am not impressed with yukon. I now run dana 70 shafts in my rear 61 and they seem to hold fine. .

I run 35 spline yukons with 6.17 gears and spool and 44's in a Dana 60 and so far have not broken one. It may happen tomorrow but have had good luck so far.

I have heard that about Yukons. Its hit or miss whether you get some good ones. I was thinking about checking into the Moser's, but I have heard bad customer service stories there, but if they don't break I won't need their customer service. I guess I am going to have to see whoever I buy the axles from how they will help me with warranty issues should I have a failure. I am still researching the brand for now, and will probably be making some phone calls tomorrow to some of the folks like Branik or others to see what they have.