• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sunday Funday

L

lowbudgetjunk

After my little girl damn near dieing yesterday due to anaphylaxis, we are going riding in the woods. BTW, check your little ones for allergies by going to the doctor, not by watching them swell up like a balloon. Cashews, peanuts and other possible allergens don't take long. My daughter had about five more minutes before her windpipe would have been swollen shut. We went on a triple digit speeding trip to the ER. When it takes two minutes (literally) to get checked in and to a room, you officially have an emergency. I wanted to punch all the freeloaders in the mouth bitching they've been sitting there for hours in the mouth. You have a cold, my child is dieing, go to urgent care. Only one lady asked when I walked back out to get the keys out if my still running car if my child was OK. And they were there with multiple fractures of the arm and hand and were still waiting patiently in the waiting room. Blah my mind is back to racing. Loading up to go piddle, Epi Pen at the ready.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Re:

Glad she's ok! Did this happen at a ride? I got stung by a **** ton of bees on a ride this summer and it started a discussion about EpiPens and I found out a couple of the parks up here have some for that reason. Stuff like that and the closest hospital locations would be good stuff to have posted at all the parks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Glad she's ok! Did this happen at a ride? I got stung by a **** ton of bees on a ride this summer and it started a discussion about EpiPens and I found out a couple of the parks up here have some for that reason. Stuff like that and the closest hospital locations would be good stuff to have posted at all the parks.

We don't let the kiddos eat nuts. But, she just had to have a cashew. Now, she has told both of her grandparents to throw them all away and she wants to inform all the stores to throw them all away too. Strangely enough, she would rather eat cashews than get a shot. I am glad my boy had the cleft lip and palate, I don't think my daughter could have taken it. God definitely knows what he's doing with these two turkeys. Just waiting on the Pharmacy to open up and we are gone.

We are going to take both kids up to a place in Decatur to get the whole regimen of allergy tests. I know she is allergic to some types of grass too and she gets hives. Might as well see what else.

Glad she is OK. You don't give it much thought till it happens or you hear about it. EpiPens are kinda like seat belts. Don't need them till you do.
My dad had been stung by everything in the world. Then one day up on a two story house a little sweat bee got between his upper and lower arm. Couple minutes later he was on the ground. Scary stuff, allergic reactions can happen to anyone at any time.

Man that's so scary! Glad she is ok now!

My little brother in law is deathly allergic to stuff like milk, eggs and a bunch of other stuff I get terribly nervous when he comes and spends the night with us :****:

Re:

Yeah its scary how you can be not allergic for something for years and then one day it'll try and kill you. Grandma wasn't allergic to shellfish till she was like 60.

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
We are going to take both kids up to a place in Decatur to get the whole regimen of allergy tests. I know she is allergic to some types of grass too and she gets hives. Might as well see what else.

My wife works in the allergy clinic at Children's in Birmingham. They do a lot of allergy tests on kids, definitly a good idea for anybody to get their kids tested even if they haven't had a reaction. Glad you got her to the ER in time.

The test is a great idea, but as stated, it isn't a panacea. Allergic reactions change! I took lots of antibiotics as a kid because penicillin was all the rage in the 80's so they prescribed it for everything. The problem with that for me is two-fold. First, it bred a plethora of antibiotic resistant germs (think MRSA). Second, one day my body decided it was allergic to penicillin and I had a similar experience despite the fact that I had taken it dozens of times before. We also made a triple digit run to the ER, and they told me that the reaction would likely be wrose the next time, but that it could also reverse itself. Needless to say, I haven't tried the ole penicillin again just to see what happens.

How old is she? Our son is almost 4. Had a reaction to cashews as well, but not like yours but he only had one piece before itching and getting an instant rash. Anyway did all the testing and now about 1.5 years later, he can have all peanuts but no.tree nuts. However, his numbers are lower and still could diminish completely. We carry the epi pen just incase. Anyway, like mentioned, allergies change and can go away.

I'm sure you were freaking out. I would have been for sure. Glad it worked out.

Glad everything ended up good for you guys. Hope to see you and at least one of the chirruns on the trail some day. RJ and Cory get along with most kids, so they can make dirt castles while we tear up some equipment. Lol

1606dffbf172f7f97e7ba7aee8ad1408.jpg

0abf043e7e6d82c10c5d193dc41f6390.jpg

5018f82459ce7d78e14fd3adfbad494c.jpg

ae34a56cb2b8e6f1056312c6994b3067.jpg

Picnic time

d367a86d216f07b93314199413d35db8.jpg

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Awesome man! Them little girls sure are something else, mine absolutely has me wrapped around her finger :****:

B.DRAKE said:
Awesome man! Them little girls sure are something else, mine absolutely has me wrapped around her finger :****:

We had 5 picnics today. Wrapped around my finger is about right. We learned to say I am scared, not that hurts. I don't mind her being scared and telling me, we back down those hills. Now she can't blame me for leaving her behind this time.

i agree, allergies do change and can go away from proper treatment. adorable kid. good to know she's okay. :dblthumb: