• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tbi timimg

mckeddie

So I've never actually owned a throttle body small block before. This weekend I bought a 92 camaro convertible (my favorite body style). It has a tbi 5.0l w a smog pump and all the **** to go along w it. IT ran Saturday, but the distributor was loose, and it jumped out of time. I've got it back timed at 8 degrees as everything has said. At anything less than about 15-20 degrees, it won't fire, just cranks forever. At '15-20 degrees, it fires right up, but runs like ****. I disconnected the tan and black wire before starting/timimg, just as everything said.

I know nothing about these motors. Where should I start looking to get this damn thing to fire right?

Start by verifying that the harmonic balancer hasn't slipped on the crank pulley.

Pull #1 plug and make sure #1 piston is at TDC when the timing mark is at 0 degrees.

I've had this come up several times.

You can also set the base timing higher than 8 degrees, as the computer will advance it up to 34 degrees and then will retard on it's own when it pings, if the knock sensor is working.

I've had good luck in the 10-14 degree base timing range, the stock some of 8 degrees is conservative.

If you have too much base timing it will be hard to start once warmed up and will try to kick back.

We checked TDC tge other day. It was good.

The car fires right up wth the timing out, but kills it when you press the gas. With the timing set anywhere close to right, it just cranks, doesn't even try to fire. It's getting good spark and fuel.

Pull the distrubuter cap and check the pickup coil. They can break loose from the distributer body. When they break it makes it impossible to set the timing.