• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thermostat question

skipnrocks

So we wheeled my dads buggy with the 6.0 today for the first time and were concerned cause the temp Gauge shot up to 220 and the fan hadn't come on. We hard wired the fan and the temp climbed to 240 and stayed there. So I put my hand on the radiator and the return side was barely warm. We figured out the computer wasn't turning the fan on because the motor wasn't hot. So my question is this. Is it possible that because of where we are taking the reading that we are getting s higher reading? Or maybe the temp gauge is getting a funny reading from the sending unit? Is there some calibration we need or what's the best approach.

Yeah it sounds like you have air trapped in the system. How did you run the steam ports?How did you bleed the air out? Did you block of the ports on the side of the water pump?
The temp reading at the back of the passenger head actually reads cooler than the one at the front of the drivers side cylinder head. If you plumb a temp guage into the "back port" that most people plug off on the water pump, that water temp will measure the same as the back of the cylinder head on passenger side..
In respect to your thermostat, did you notice if yours had any holes in the back plate that separates it the "front" and "back" chambers of the water pump? Or did it have any ridges on it to keep from sitting flush against the boss to the back chamber? There are different thermostats that I have seen and this can be an issue for bleeding air. One has holes drilled in it from the factory.but, is "flat.". I drilled holes in mine just for insurance. Two, the back plate has ridges on the face of the plate to allow water to bleed from the back chamber to the front without the back plate having to open. Mine has this as well. Third, type is flat without any holes. So if you have this later style you can run into issues with getting air out. I know some that run no thermostat, some that run a freeze plug with a hole in the center pushed into the hole for thermostat, and some with a "gutted" thermostat. Go here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/847999-lsx-thermostat-5.html#/forumsite/21027/topics/847999?page=5
But, it definitely sounds like you have air still in the system.

b.boyd said:
Yeah it sounds like you have air trapped in the system. How did you run the steam ports?How did you bleed the air out? Did you block of the ports on the side of the water pump?
The temp reading at the back of the passenger head actually reads cooler than the one at the front of the drivers side cylinder head. If you plumb a temp guage into the "back port" that most people plug off on the water pump, that water temp will measure the same as the back of the cylinder head on passenger side..
In respect to your thermostat, did you notice if yours had any holes in the back plate that separates it the "front" and "back" chambers of the water pump? Or did it have any ridges on it to keep from sitting flush against the boss to the back chamber? There are different thermostats that I have seen and this can be an issue for bleeding air. One has holes drilled in it from the factory.but, is "flat.". I drilled holes in mine just for insurance. Two, the back plate has ridges on the face of the plate to allow water to bleed from the back chamber to the front without the back plate having to open. Mine has this as well. Third, type is flat without any holes. So if you have this later style you can run into issues with getting air out. I know some that run no thermostat, some that run a freeze plug with a hole in the center pushed into the hole for thermostat, and some with a "gutted" thermostat. Go here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/847999-lsx-thermostat-5.html#/forumsite/21027/topics/847999?page=5
But, it definitely sounds like you have air still in the system.

The steam ports are run to the top of the radiator. The ports on the water pump are capped off. We haven't tried bleeding the system. I would have to look up how that is done. I will pull the therostat and make sure it has holes.

The thermostat I got had a second plate behind it. I had to remove that before I could get it to bleed rite. Also had to fill through upper hose. Good luck!

I filled.mine thought the top of my water pump. But then again I put a Schrader valve in the top of my water pump next to wear my steam ports tie in to my pump.

I didn't know there was steam ports on the water pump. The only one I remember was coming through the throttle intake. I'm not leaking any fluid so everything must be blocked. Where is the steam port in the water pump and does it just go back to the radiator?

Lots of people drill and tap the waterpump for the steam port instead of going to the radiator.

shrek tits said:
Lots of people drill and tap the waterpump for the steam port instead of going to the radiator.

Oh gotcha. I had a friend weld a smaller inlet tube on the radiator so I had him weld a bung for the steam port in there too. I didn't know if I had missed one during install