• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire softener

jccarter1

I have been thinking about this for a while we used to race karts and used all kinds of treatments to soften up tires I have a set of irocs that I picked up cheap and would like to get the tires a little softer and sticky I am just to broke/poor to afford some sticky tires so just trying to bounce some ideas around that I could use as a cheap improvement to the junk that I already have. I trailer the jeep and I don't mind if it doesn't work or shortens the life of the tire just tired of watching comp tires walk up trails that I have to back up and hit full speed, any info or suggestions would be helpful

marczuk said:
So spraying simple green works? To soften up tires.

I'm somewhat skeptical of that. We use simple green to clean our floors every night in my restaurants. It hasn't seemed to soften up the soles of my boots at all. :) Granted, boot rubber is probably different than tire rubber.

As crazy as this may sound I know an older fella that races dirt track, I remember him telling me not to long ago he was going to the house to rub his tires down with (damn my mind went blank). I want to say raspberry juice and something else I vinegar maybe, hell I can't remember. I do remember it sounded crazy as hell. About to call him, Will post back up what he says.. ???

Donutfj80 said:
Funniest thing I got from that:
Honestly i race figure 8 at the indianapolis speedrome and we had a guy break track record for the 3 hour last weekend old track record was a 16.5 he ran a 16.487 and he soaks his tires in goat piss
molaugh

Ok, just called my buddy and he said he was buying that $250 stuff from John Blankenship. I believe it's a secret brew... :dunno:

We made a few home brews when were racing

Gasoline and tar mix up until the same consistency as motor oil
Also
1 part diesel 1 part ATF 1 part paint thinner

The mixes that you buy seem to work alittle but most of them only help when the tires are in a heat cycle I might just try some of the home brews we used to make but I just wanted to see if anyone else had ever tried something that worked

Re: Tire softener

jccarter1 said:
I have a set of irocs that I picked up cheap ............... any info or suggestions would be helpful

Biggest mistake you ever made!!!!!

I had a buggy with 37 BFG Reds and switched to 42 IROCS. Never worked half as good!! The guy who bought the buggy even grooved the IROCS with an Aetna cut and they never worked. He recently switched back to 39 reds. NIGHT AND DAY!

Only way to make an IROC work is to white smoke them before every obstacle! Then hopefully they will wear out fast and you can get some tires!

Why do you think you got them cheap?

Live and learn!

Yes I understand that that irocs suck but 300 dollars for a set of 39 inch tires that are about 75 percent they are worth it in my mind also I don't have the cash to drop on a set of reds but if anyone one would like give me a set so I don't have to mess with these irocs I will gladly accept them haha but until someone decides to give me some tires I will keep trying to improve what I have and what I can afford

The-Boss said:
Weird, I was telling my buddy about this today before this post. That in the link is what I used years ago cart racing on dirt tracks. It definitely works. Been thinking about trying it for a few years.

The link I provided clearly states that it does not soften tires yet I can find other places that sell the same stuff who specifically state that it what it is for???

Re: Tire softener

I used to race dirt karts and the stuff does soften up tires but it would cost a fortune to treat big tires. We would use a durometer which looks like a dial indicator with a little pin on it and we would roll the treatment on the tires until they were to the desired softness. I'd run a belt sander over them first to open them up because they will glaze up after a race. I can't imagine working a set of 44s like I did my kart tires.

patooyee said:
The link I provided clearly states that it does not soften tires yet I can find other places that sell the same stuff who specifically state that it what it is for???

I know what we used was called bite by everyone. I assume that is it.