• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

To Cover or NOT to cover (BOATSIDES)

Would it look better closed off or left open?

• Put UHMW backed with 3/16" steel

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Leave it Open

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bacon

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • fitties and beer

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

under_psi

CROSS POST POLICE
although i would not mind leaving it open, i really like the look of it being closed off......

murrp9-2007058.jpg

driver's side has a slight fitment issue. the muffler is FLUSH with the outside edge of the boatside tubing and although not really obtrusive to me, it fawks up my original plan for a side....
murrp9-2007048.jpg

Passenger side has no fitment issues with the side i had already made.....
murrp9-2007050.jpg

and for those of you who want to vote for bacon or fitties in a beer, i allowed a multiple vote option..... :flipoff1:

i am here by pronouncing "fitties and beer" a valid poll option just like bacon is on pbb...any poll will NOT be valid with out that option..... :drinkers:

You need to cover that up bad. I'd go with aluminum myself though, in my mind it'd be lighter/stronger than UMHW and steel backing.

i like the look of the UHMW, and i think that with the close proximity of the muffler on the driver's side, that the steel would be a better protector for the UHMW than the aluminum would...

but hey ,we'll c....

You might want to throw in one more tube to brace it in the middle, how long is the span there? The extra tube may suffice for now to keep your exhaust protected, then you could add the UHMW later on top of it. Unless there isn't enough room to clear the mufflers...

I'd tab the tubs and run a piece of aluminum in there. Agree its pretty big for leaving open, but UHMV will be a bitch with the exhaust. I highly doubt you ever get into anything in that area so 1/8 aluminum should be overly sufficient.

Damn, those mufflers kinda throw my opinion out. If they were not there I would say ditch the boatsides. However, with all that crap sitting right there, you need some sort of protection.

Steel is overkill IMO. AL would be best here. Leave off the plastic, it gets scratched and gouged out and it won't look good with that much of it on the side of your rig.

Like Chris said, you may be able to get away with a tube there to do the job....running horizontal I would think, right there to protect the muffler.

Skin it with .120 AL and you can replace it as it gets messed up.

Jimbro had Moly plate on his buggy right there and it had no memory. Bent and stayed bent. He later cut it out and replaced it with replacable AL plates. They have memory and have some slight gouges on them, but he has not had to replace them in over a year of wheeling.

Run one more up and down bar, then add some trick tabs with a 1/4 inch hole (6) should do it and skin it with 1/8 or 3/16 alum. It will slide better than steel and look better than the plastic. Very easy to replace after races if need be. If you leave it open it will hang you up all the time, them bars will catch on everything and running at speeds and you hit a big rock it will wreak that tubing. Just my .02 worth thumb.gif

1/8" aluminum I'm not so sure about right there though. :dunno: seems to me it should be a little thicker but I have never seen an aluminum skid react to the abuse of rock crawling. I skinned my entire buggy with 1/8" alum and it seems if took a hard enough lick that wouldn't hold up.

1/4 is what i would use if i went with aluminum...

i think that is what i am going to do....gonna try and get it squared away this weekend......damn, i am running out of time.....

aluminum must be polished :flipoff1: or get one of yer keystone drinkin buddies to make a cool design with a flap disc--that always looks cool loller.gif

Plastic is slicker than owl **** on a frosty log.......I vote plastic to slip over rocks.........AND.....If you plan it right(symmetrical)(sp?) you might get to use both sides of the plastic as they get scarred up.

Definitely need to skin it and you betta get the tabs welded on there and a center tube (if you are going to put one in) before Sunday so you can start the painting......

Put two light wall tubes triangulated in the space. It will ad major structure to the chassis and then skin it with 1/4" Aluminum. Your buggy sits low so it wont even be that noticeable but when it is seen it will be clean.

Woodlee said:
Put two light wall tubes triangulated in the space. It will ad major structure to the chassis and then skin it with 1/4" Aluminum. Your buggy sits low so it wont even be that noticeable but when it is seen it will be clean.

We have a winner.....