• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

To sway bar or not to sway bar

kody29

I have 18in coil overs on each corner and have tons of body roll are sway bars worth getting would love some advice and where is best place to get them?

kody29 said:
I have 18in coil overs on each corner and have tons of body roll are sway bars worth getting would love some advice and where is best place to get them?

WOW, I wouldn't run a buggy without a rear anti sway bar. HUGE difference in my opinion. Some people run them on both ends but I've always found them fighting each other and easier to roll. Just ask Jake Burkey, I bought the one off his front. lol

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
WOW, I wouldn't run a buggy without a rear anti sway bar. HUGE difference in my opinion. Some people run them on both ends but I've always found them fighting each other and easier to roll. Just ask Jake Burkey, I bought the one off his front. lol

ADMINISTRATOR

well I would love to work a deal like that out. how do you know what length arms to get and so on?

kody29 said:
well I would love to work a deal like that out. how do you know what length arms to get and so on?

Buggy or vehicle? Lifted, shock lengths, travel per wheel? Currie has a lot of information on their site and might be a little easier to read their information. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR

I had tons of roll from lift and lean from engine torque. I did a swaybar and have the best ride ever. 82 scrambler with LT1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run ORIs and really like how they cut out body roll. I was contemplating a sway bar when I had my 2.5" coil overs on my jeep.

Yes I have been talking to tk1 I will be ordering one next week bad part is looks like im going to have to find new way to mount rear bump stops.

I have a rear Tk1 bar on my buggy. Ended up taking it off after the shakedown run to see how it worked without it. Wheeled the next weekend and couldn't tell the difference. Probably just leave it off. For a crawling trail rig that has proper suspension geometry, a swaybar isnt needed IMO. Key word there is proper. Not saying mine is perfect, but it seems to work well without it. You may have other issues if youre experiencing excessive body roll. Shock placement/link placement/shock travel/shock tuning/etc all play a huge part.

the_white_shadow said:
I have a rear Tk1 bar on my buggy. Ended up taking it off after the shakedown run to see how it worked without it. Wheeled the next weekend and couldn't tell the difference. Probably just leave it off. For a crawling trail rig that has proper suspension geometry, a swaybar isnt needed IMO. Key word there is proper. Not saying mine is perfect, but it seems to work well without it. You may have other issues if youre experiencing excessive body roll. Shock placement/link placement/shock travel/shock tuning/etc all play a huge part.

Want to sell the swaybar?

the_white_shadow said:

Its not always about geometry. My Coil overs are setup with lighter compression and rebound. This allows my buggy to ride smooth and sway bar keeps it from having body roll. No matter what your geometry is like, you WILL have body roll if you run a soft suspension. Albeit, body roll can be cause of also poor suspension setup.

my advice for anyone looking into a swaybar is do NOT go with a TK1. They WILL fail eventually. Several buddies have had issues, along with myself. The spline will either strip in the bar or the arm; or the bar will just flat our fail and break. TK1 will NOT stand behind the product either. Just my experience.

Currie is about the best for a budget sway bar you will get. PAC if you want the best of the best.

74_Chevota said:
Its not always about geometry. My Coil overs are setup with lighter compression and rebound. This allows my buggy to ride smooth and sway bar keeps it from having body roll. No matter what your geometry is like, you WILL have body roll if you run a soft suspension. Albeit, body roll can be cause of also poor suspension setup.

my advice for anyone looking into a swaybar is do NOT go with a TK1. They WILL fail eventually. Several buddies have had issues, along with myself. The spline will either strip in the bar or the arm; or the bar will just flat our fail and break. TK1 will NOT stand behind the product either. Just my experience.

Currie is about the best for a budget sway bar you will get. PAC if you want the best of the best.

all valid points.

In regards to mt TK1 bar. First trip out the arms on the bar loosened up and walked over to the drivers side. Once the passenger side had about 20% engagement the bar stripped out the splines on the aluminum arm. I thinks its usable still but not the best first impression. This was all in about 3hrs of wheeling on mild shakedown trails. I tightened the **** out of them as well beforehand.

Thanks for the tk1 junk info! I was about to call them up. I've ran currie stuff before with good results, I was just looking for something different

I`ll be honest I couldn`t really see why you would need one with ORIs unless you needed it for taking curves for racing purposes. For crawling and bouncing it seems like you`d be wasting your money unless you had them set up lose as hell which would give you bad ride on the trails all the way around. Someone else might can chime in on a case where one would be needed though.

truckbroke said:
I`ll be honest I couldn`t really see why you would need one with ORIs unless you needed it for taking curves for racing purposes. For crawling and bouncing it seems like you`d be wasting your money unless you had them set up lose as hell which would give you bad ride on the trails all the way around. Someone else might can chime in on a case where one would be needed though.

That makes sense, mine doesn't body roll at all in turns or anything, but then again I only have a 22r so I'm not pulling too many Gs going into turns lol.