• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toorisky's rebuild

J sin it is going to be awhile before I strat wrenching on the donor, I am tearing down the wreck and still finding whats savable...but if you want I can meet you at the storage area where you can pull them, all my tools are over at the garage so bring wrenches. Saturday early is best, but I will be gone for Yakima at 7:30am so you would need to bing cash and a buddy to help maybe.

I will PM you with my number, call tonight before 7:00pm, other wise we will reschedule

Holley truck avenger. HHMMMM
junk...
Not one I would want on a wheeler.
exactly

i had a buddy whos carbed jeep wouldnt even go over a curb without sputtering. he bought a new holley truck avenger bolted it on right out of the box,and didnt have any issues. the thing could almost be vertical,and it was still running idling.
i know efi,or propane is the way to go. but if this has a carb why not wait and do other things for now?
lucky?

im VERY unhappy with mine. the old stock 2bbl was MUCH better.

to the OP, how do the Efans cool?
doesnt the CSB give enough room for an engine driven fan? maybe with the serpentine belt system?

I wasnt able to get all the welds cut off before I went through 3 freakin batteries so I'm gonna have to head out there again some other time to finish cuttin them off. whoever welded those on should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly for atleast a full hour.

Thanks for some great advise, I have decided to put the rig in a tranny shop and swap out the guts, out put shaft, toyota adapter and toyota T-case into a K type 4x4 TH350 case and have it installed making it a running rebuild.

I have bought Downey Walker Evans front fenders and a 4 pin Hood to start to make this thing less ugly....

fenders are top right http://www.downeyoff-road.com/BodyComponents/FiberglassFenders.html

Budget at $3500.00 before tranny

Pics up soon from tranny shop....

Well it took about 7-8 hours but the project is seriously on its way, working till midnight YotaWorks crew Chris and Jason, along with Gabe and myself got after this project and answered a few nagging questions along the way which is forming our decisions for the future. To get an idea of the frame damage we have probably under a 60* angle where the frame rails meet the front and found the engine took such a hit that it internaly is shot, probably the top end, but at this point dont know weather to look into or not. We got all the engine electronics out, ARB air and electrincs out, steering box finaly removered, and of course slid the entire front end out suspension and all...

Now for pics...

accidentpictures035.jpg

accidentpictures036.jpg

accidentpictures037.jpg

accidentpictures038.jpg

accidentpictures039.jpg

accidentpictures040.jpg

accidentpictures041.jpg

accidentpictures042.jpg

accidentpictures043.jpg

accidentpictures044.jpg

accidentpictures045.jpg

accidentpictures046.jpg

accidentpictures047.jpg

accidentpictures048.jpg

accidentpictures049.jpg

accidentpictures050.jpg

accidentpictures051.jpg

accidentpictures052.jpg

accidentpictures053.jpg

accidentpictures054.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday brought some yawns to the shop but we got to work heading to buy needed supplies for the upcoming clean and install. After we got back and organized (couple beers) out came the rear end and suspension and we leveled the hulk on blocks. we still wanna pull the exhaust and drive train before the rest goes to salvage, there will be a parts list if you wanna come pick up, but before warned, at $200.00 a month for this place I am not houseing parts as you save pennies or want to hagle wiith me and will trash them very shortly do to time.

he engine is shot, we are guessing the top end, there is virtualy no compression, but would be good for a EFI project and have saved the harness and ecu...$125, tranny+Tcase $75, solid axle is sold, their is 36" tires and blak rock crawlers $350.00 (4ea) see pic, like new bench seat, grey in color $25.00, much more to put up soon....

Here is the rear end out of the 4runner(Look at those beautiful 63" springs)

accidentpictures057.jpg

accidentpictures058.jpg

Steve, those are the 36" tires in the pics? I didn't know they made 36's with that tread design? I thought only up to 33's came with that tread---if those are them, I am Interested...

Steve, those are the 36" tires in the pics? I didn't know they made 36's with that tread design? I thought only up to 33's came with that tread---if those are them, I am Interested...

sorry for the confusion, the 36" tires and wheels will come off the donor truck (the white one), those shown are my 33" of the wreck

Well we have the engine, tranny, T-case out and sold, the carcass was waiting for some to pic threw but no one showed up. Everything we needed to carry on was pulled and then sent off to scrap the hulk and make room for the build-up. here are the last pics of my project that just wasnt given a chance to prove herself, I am hopeing for better results on this build up.

accidentpictures059.jpg

accidentpictures060.jpg

accidentpictures061.jpg

accidentpictures062.jpg

accidentpictures063.jpg

accidentpictures064.jpg

accidentpictures065.jpg

accidentpictures067.jpg

accidentpictures068.jpg

accidentpictures069.jpg

accidentpictures070.jpg

accidentpictures071.jpg

accidentpictures072.jpg

accidentpictures073.jpg

accidentpictures074.jpg

accidentpictures075.jpg

accidentpictures076.jpg

accidentpictures077.jpg

accidentpictures078.jpg

accidentpictures079.jpg

So from now on we work on the donor 4Runnner to try to get a complete trail raider of a vehical...

We went and got the donor today in the cold and rain, and had to muscle the beast into the small shop for work to begin. We have been going over time and again what we want to due, with what we have at hand and stay with in budget.

The three things that are major are bellhousing, front axle set and suspension, rear axle setup and suspension. The bellhousing on the TH350 is broken due to the high output of torque from the SB350, the bellhousing was not a heavye duty 4x4 bell housing and did what it did under extreme hammering from the engine. I bought a "Ultra" bellhousing which is rated at 600 x stronger and made for offroading. We are hoping for a simple pull, split, swap, and bolt back in...knock on wood. When we fired the motor today it was very evident that the brand new 5.29:1 ring and pinions front and rear will have to be swaped for stock 4.10:1 ring and pinions or the diffs are going to dynomite very soon because of the torque that can be applied, ya gotta here this motor. We have decided to 4" lift front and back, considering the front is high by about an inch we are hopeing the wieght of the V-8 will sit us even very nicly, or be close. We will get our order out via Trail Gear when Chris gets back next week.

There is more we want to do but right now it is all about getting it on the road mechanicaly sound and safe.

Again another huge helping hand from YotaWorks in Tacoma, this would not be possible to do with out them, thanks guys

Steve

Last edited:
sorry for the confusion, the 36" tires and wheels will come off the donor truck (the white one), those shown are my 33" of the wreck

No prob----you still have the 36's???If they're in good shape, I'd be very interested!!!:awesomework:

Phantom 309 runs one on his cj-5 and I personally watched it start up this last weekend after he flopped it one its side and he shut it down when he flopped but then restarted it to try to drive out of it so I would say for a carb they work pretty damn good:awesomework:

Phantom 309 runs one on his cj-5 and I personally watched it start up this last weekend after he flopped it one its side and he shut it down when he flopped but then restarted it to try to drive out of it so I would say for a carb they work pretty damn good:awesomework:
thats how mine ran with the stock autolite/motorcraft, whatever.....
ran for about 10 minutes, driving back and forth, about 30' or so....laying on the passenger door.(i was trying to get it back over). in fact, it ran until i turned it off.
with the truck avenger..if i even drive past a speedbump, it hiccups:mad:

oh, and to the OP, if u want the drivetrain to survive a bit longer. id think about getting rid of that 2500 stall converter....

Last edited:
All tires and wheels are spoken for...As for the Holley carb, hell i have to get the damn thing running before I can even concider replacing or figuring out problems with it, if there are problems with it, cause she runs very very strong on level ground...that said we all know offroad equals off camber so, down the road I will approach this...

Steve

The tranny Problem continues....

So after two days of fighting getting that damn transmission out of the truck, it's finally out. Lets talk about how F'd up it was. Tranny only has about an inch before the firewall, the exhaust wraps right around the back of the t-case, and the motor will only slide forward an inch before the headers hit the motor mounts. With a lot of persuasion, we got the damn thing out (cut the bell housing off where it was cracked, unbolted the motor mounts, dropped the exhaust, etc...). The bad is, the TH350 4x4 models use a one piece bell housing and trans housing, so it's time for a new tranny. The good is I found a shop that has a Unibell housing which is an aftermarket housing in stock that they will swap and rebuild all the crap out of this one and give us a rebuilt and much stronger housing for $550 and it includes a new T/C. All they need is about 4 days and a little bit of cash. Apparently the 2wd models use a separate bell housing, so it's kind of hard to know before hand so the bell housing that just showed up isn't going to be able to be used. Oh well, lesson learned. Also, once the new tranny shows up, the motor will have to be pulled in order to put the new transmission in, which sucks. Not very easy maintenance, but also not a stock truck. After seeing how much the transfer case mounts are shot, I am placing them as well just so we don't get all the flex in the driveline again and repeat the devastation that we're currently fixing, as a mater of fact might as well as replace all mounts with sythectics and chain that motor to the frame. So with lesons now learned and money now burned, I am pissed off and this bitch of some hormorphatite truck will run .....DANM IT.....

quick update.....after the holidays and with a bunch of effort by the guys at YotaWorks the tranny finaly came out, got it loaded and went to Central Transmission in Kent to get it rebuilt into a "K" 1981 "K" case, I am installing a heavey duty towing torque converter, shift kit, dust cover and new drop down cables which should make the reinstall at least cleaner. This also means new drive lines as soon as we can mock it up and after that we should be running and I am to put her to bed till spring , let things warm up and start the finish work.The tranny should be back for install Mon. or Tue. more pics soon

Steve

Last edited: