• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota gauge issue...

London Gentleman

I have a 3 wire GM alternator in my 80' toyota pickup, exciter wire is jumped correctly, and have been running this setup for about 4 months now no problem.

So I was driving up the girlfriends gravel driveway bout a week or 2 ago, was in and out of the throttle goofing off and all the sudden the charge light comes on and I loose all my gauges... When I got home I checked my fuses and the gauge fuse is blown. So I replace it with one of the spares in the truck and still no gauges. Every now and then the charge light comes on pretty dim then fades away and the truck will sputter every now and then and be fine a few seconds later. I still have lights, turn signals, heater doesn't come on anymore either. What could this be?? Fuseable link?? All my grounds are still hooked up and tight...

The battery shows 14.5 volts idling as well...

Have you checked the wires for a short? Do any other items in the truck besides the blower motor not work? Do you have power at all the fuses?

Sounds like it's time for a new motor. :kissmyass: After this weekend we can come up and help you look it over. :awesomework:

I'm guessing a ground or a bare wire is grounding out...

Ok, so I put a test light to each side of every fuse and the only side that didn't light up is the left side of the gauge fuse... I'm gonna take off the fuse box and look at the wires for it later tonight...

No. I would just confirm you didn't loose a ground first. Bye the sounds of it, you have a ground that is shorting intermittently.

If you have power on one leg of the fuse, but not the other...the fuse is no good. Did the new one blow immediately when you put it in? If it did, then I'd be looking for something that's powered up on that circuit shorting to ground....not an open ground...an open ground, or even a grounded ground will not blow the fuse.