• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota t-case question

rookiezuke

i am wanting to up grade to a 4.7 rear case but dont no how to tell if i have 21 or 23 spline input i am thinking it was 95 and newer that is 23. my truck is a 1984 i think. and how can i tell if it is foward shift or top shift. thanks for any info

If the truck is an 84, 22r it has a 21 sline case in it. As far as I know everything with a 4cyl was 21 spline. Except the turbo models. Im not positive on this, but my truck has a forward shift in it and I could tell because the tcase shifter is located in the back of the transmission. T-case has a block-off plate on the shifter mounting holes..

Worros said:
If the truck is an 84, 22r it has a 21 sline case in it. As far as I know everything with a 4cyl was 21 spline. Except the turbo models. Im not positive on this, but my truck has a forward shift in it and I could tell because the tcase shifter is located in the back of the transmission. T-case has a block-off plate on the shifter mounting holes..
Correct.

Easiest way to tell is to crawl under the truck and hope there is room to tell where it shifts. If not, take off the center console (if it's still there) and shift boot to get to the top of the drivetrain.

If I'm not mistaken, most '84s were top-shift. But, it won't matter for 4.7s. If you're doing a doubler, it still won't matter, as you'll just need to make sure the second transfer case - the actual case doing the transfering - is a top-shift.

Re: Re: toyota t-case question

There is a good trans id guide on Marlin crawler.

All 22r and 22re trucks use 21 spline, 22rte (turbo) trucks use 23 spline.

carbed trucks used g series trans with a forward shift case

Efi trucks up to 88 used a w series trans with top shift case.

3rd gen (89-95) trucks use w series trans with forward shift case, and the trans and tcase shifters share a common base (older forward shift trucks had separate trans and tcase shifter bases)

Ah... Your 84 should have a forward shift case. My bad...

From Pirate:

Transfercases

Years Engine Model Shift Style Spline Type

1979-1980 20R Carb Top Shift 21-spline
1981-1983 22R Carb Top Shift 21-spline
1984-1988 22R Carb Forward Shift 21-spline
1985-1988 22RE EFI Top Shift 21-spline
1986-1987 22RTE EFI/Turbo Forward Shift 23-spline
1989-1995 22RE EFI Forward Shift 21-spline
89-95 22RE(G58) forward shift chain drive transfercase 26-spline will not accept adapters or gear sets. These are 22RE/4X4 Models with 5 spd and ADD.

Easiest way to tell is to crawl under the truck and hope there is room to tell where it shifts. If not, take off the center console (if it's still there) and shift boot to get to the top of the drivetrain.

If I'm not mistaken, most '84s were top-shift. But, it won't matter for 4.7s. If you're doing a doubler, it still won't matter, as you'll just need to make sure the second transfer case - the actual case doing the transfering - is a top-shift.
[/quote]

yea it already has a doubler so i guess the rear is top shift. and according to that u just posted the front case is a foward shift.

thank yall for ur help guess ima order those gears now loller.gif

AW HELL YEA ,,,,thats gone make the yoter truck have some creepabillity throwed off in it loller.gif

mightta coulda helped here :dunno:

FWPride314.jpg

FWPride207.jpg

get that gear set crammed in there before FALL FOR ALL :woot:

OH HELL ,,,,,, we also gotta get rid of that rear "CLACKTION BAR" as well yall ,,,,,, that thang raps harder than snoop dawg on a meth ,endo & tankeray cocktail :****: