• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trade gone wrong

The Luke

Thought I'd post up a review of a potential trade that I almost had recently with hstanford on here. He posted on my for sale thread offering me an 04 ranger for my zj.

Keep in mind, some of the driving is my own damn fault, I should have known better. Also limited due to my own trailer complications.

Lengthy version:
We worked out a deal to meet halfway(lawrenceburg, tn). The plan was for me to trailer jeep there, him drive there, if we like each others vehicles, then I would deliver the rest of the way. I spoke with him the night before the deal and he said we were on and he would meet at walmart in lawrenceburg at 10am. So I head out in the morning, jeep in tow, get there at 10, he was a no call, no show. At 11:15 he text me and said that he had been called into work that night and was cleaning up an overturned truck. I told him no big deal, it happens. I agreed to drop the jeep in Columbia, TN at my father in laws place and that he would come down wed. of that week to pick it up. He also said he would bring $200 for my wasted fuel that day. Wed comes, he called and rescheduled, for the following sunday. Sunday morning rolls around, he texts and says he has a flat trailer tire and he will try to be there as soon as he can. So I head down to Columbia, I didn't mind the drive because regardless of the deal I would have to go down to get the jeep. I wait a few hours, no call, no show. So, I load the jeep up and start to head home. Almost 3 hours after he was supposed to be there he finally calls and claims he left his phone in the truck and has been searching for a tire. So I decide to give him one last chance. I drop the jeep one more time at Ridered's house(mainly due to a blowout on the trailer). He claims he will come the following wed. because he gets paid. He says he will bring me boot for my troubles and he will haul the jeep home.

Throughout the course of all this we had discussed both vehicles. He claimed he had just had the Ranger serviced and when I asked if it was a clean title he replied "dunno, I know it isn't a salvage title"(This should have been a red flag, but I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt).

He shows up wed night. He gets out of the truck and within a few minutes he lets me know that he spent every dime he had coming up here and that he would have to paypal me at a later date. I told him that we would cross that bridge when we came to it. He and his buddy look over the jeep with me, agree that they like it. He then let me know that the title was in fact a rebuilt title. I decide to work around that. So I look over the truck. Underneath looked good, inside looked good, motor sounded good. Then I started checking fluids. The oil was almost solid black, the coolant reservoir was bone dry and had some mud in the bottom of it, the filler neck on the radiator had mud inside it and the radiator was maybe half full. I pulled the air filter out and there was a rats nest under the air filter.

When I asked him if the truck had been sitting, he replied "only a week and a half". I ended up telling him nicely that I hated that we had gone through all that, but I was going to have to pass on the truck. He started arguing and getting defensive that my jeep had mud on the motor and on the interior, and that he didn't understand the difference?

Short version:
Got stood up
Got stood up
Promised good truck with clean title and extra boot
Showed up with no boot, rebuilt title, truck with mud in radiator and dark dark oil
He got pissed and left.

I realize there technically wasn't a final transaction. But when it comes down to it, I'm out almost $300 in fuel and have a pretty bad taste in my mouth about the entire deal. Figured I'd post up my experience with him for what it's worth.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trade gone wrong

TBItoy said:
Who the **** would want a Ranger.
:flipoff1:
Transmission went out in my DD. At the time, it was my only option to get mobile again.

Also, my first truck was a ranger. :flipoff1:

Re: Re: Re: Trade gone wrong

johneddie said:
He got pissed?! :wtflol:

Started cussin and stormed off after arguing with me about it. He was bitchin about how he wasted 3 hrs driving up there.

I had a similar deal a few years ago with cardudenc on here. Was gonna get out of the sport for a bit and trade my 2.5 ton yj for his stocker. Value for value there was quite the difference but it worked in each others favor. Long story short he was supposed to cover the $200+ fuel i burned going to him and when i arrived i found a jeep that had no brakes and spit coolant out the pcv port in the valve cover. Loaded back up and learned not to do that stuff again unless both parties are invested before driving. A mans good word isn't what it used to be.

Just to say I stated very clearly the title was not clean I was rebuilt he said no problem an his jeep was covered in mud couldn't even see the motor of your going to do a trade at least clean it up and I had the money at home was going to have it pay paled after deal But after three hours of driving and him looking at it for a total of maybe ten min he don't want to do the deal but then gets on here and talks **** seems if he was a man and had something to say he woul have done it to my face but I just took my truck and came home

Re: Re: Trade gone wrong

First things first, any paypal transaction would be done before either party done any vehicle trading and taking it home if was me and my deal. That's just dumb.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

hstanford said:
Just to say I stated very clearly the title was not clean I was rebuilt he said no problem an his jeep was covered in mud couldn't even see the motor of your going to do a trade at least clean it up and I had the money at home was going to have it pay paled after deal But after three hours of driving and him looking at it for a total of maybe ten min he don't want to do the deal but then gets on here and talks **** seems if he was a man and had something to say he woul have done it to my face but I just took my truck and came home

You know as well as I do that you did not state that clearly about the title. Even when I asked you once you got there about it you replied "l never said it was a clean title, I told you it wasn't a salvage". Also, you know that everything I put on here I said to your face. As for the mud on my rig, I'm sorry my trail rig had mud on it. I agree, I should have cleaned it up. That was my bad.

I'm still trying to figure out how, even if there was supposedly no mud in the radiator, how did we both stand there and see it, you admit it, and for the fluids to be like they were if you had had the truck serviced a week prior to us meeting??

As far as the money goes, you told Me you were bringing me $200 cash the first time, after that you kept saying you'd bring me "boot". But neither of us specified how much. I decided it was up to you, you knew how much I was out in fuel, so I left it up to you to make it right. When you got there and we got to talking and you told me that it took every dime you had to get there, it didn't make any sense. So I'm to assume you spent $200+ on fuel on the way there? Dont tell someone you are bringing them cash, wait til you get there and say "I'll have to PayPal you later".

As for the threatening texts you've been sending me. I'm not going to respond, I'm not going to sit here and talk **** about who is going to whoop who. I'm just going to recommend that you stop.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trade gone wrong

TacomaJD said:
First things first, any paypal transaction would be done before either party done any vehicle trading and taking it home if was me and my deal. That's just dumb.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Couldn't agree more

I learned a similar lesson the hard way a couple of years ago. I drove to Atlanta (6 hours away) to buy a diesel F350 that "needed a little work". It needed about 3 times the work they said it did. Now when I am looking to buy something, I get plenty of pictures and talk to the seller much more to be sure they aren't dubious. :afro:

Not exactly the same but as far as a man's word goes..... I bought about half a toyota truck one time just for the title. Drove over two hours from home to pick the truck up when I got there guy said "title is on its way to the house and I will send it as soon as it gets there". Should have been my first clue. Gave the guy benefit of the doubt and already drove all that way so why not. I paid him and took the truck. Several months went by never received a title. Told me that the state told him titles were very behind and would take months. I had bought two other trucks since this one and already received titles from the same state that was so far behind. Finally told guy he could settle up and give me X amount of money back and we would call it even. He responded by threatening to whoop my ass if I would drive back down there. Never received title and last time I called guy out on it he still told me I had an ass whooping waiting.

The next time I got shafted kinda...... I drove about 4 hrs to TN to pick up a different toyota truck. Got there and the side of the truck that I got no pics of was totally wrecked and smashed. How in the world can you let someone drive that far and not tell them the truth is well beyond me. Its not like they aren't going to notice. :wtflol: Didn't do too bad got the truck super damn cheap and even ended up selling his own battery back to him. thumb.gif

I know it is sorry but I take noone at their word anymore period.

The only thing wrong with that trade in you should have drove back and let that guy try your ass on for size! I believe I would have drove to Cuba for that guy.

It's been my experience since texting became so prevalent and the economy tanked, that nobody's word is worth trusting. I've still done dealings with decent folk, but nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Sorry you went though that ****

Markrobinson said:
It's been my experience since texting became so prevalent and the economy tanked, that nobody's word is worth trusting. I've still done dealings with decent folk, but nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.

I agree completely. I normally will do most of the dealings over a phone call. Although, the only positive side to texting is that I have everything in "writing".

hstanford said:
Moral of the story?
Don't trust anyone who doesn't use punctuation!
:****: :wtflol:

5BrothersFabrication said:
Moral of the story?
Don't trust anyone who doesn't use punctuation!
:****: :wtflol:

I dont know what youre talking about mang I dont see the problem with my English obviously you dont speak good

Molaugh Molaugh Molaugh

Latest posts