• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail Names spinoff, how did they get their name?

Craig_c

The trail names topic got me thinking, how did some of the more popular trails at the more popular parks get their names?

I'd be very interested in some of the Harlan trails. Mason Jar, Lions Den (Bears den woild have made more sense). Your Turn, Crawford Cry, etc.

So what do you know?

Wasnt Copperhead at MM named that because they killed an unholy amount of copperheads cutting the trail? I've always wondered the same thing about names. Some are crazy. Whiskey Still at Hale makes sense because back in the day that would have been a prime place for a still.

Rockwells607 said:
Spooners out at koh got the name from a buggy break down and dudes actually spooning to stay warm lol

When did Tony and JD go to hammers?? :rolf:

Been around since the beginning of Hawk Pride. I know "broke foot" got its name because of Lymann and the guys cutting trails broke his foot while clearing it. Same as K5 hill, first guy to climb it named it K5 because that is what he was driving.

civicmindedex79 said:
Been around since the beginning of Hawk Pride. I know "broke foot" got its name because of Lymann and the guys cutting trails broke his foot while clearing it. Same as K5 hill, first guy to climb it named it K5 because that is what he was driving.

hah, that's cool. We rode Broke Foot this past weekend and while there I was wondering why it got it's name.

civicmindedex79 said:
Its no where near the trail it started out as but the end will for sure still get you with those deep holes.

conquered! You're right though, the hole at the top is very deep.

img_4147-jpg.1327608

Crawford's Cry is named after Tellico icon Steve Crawford.
Myself and a few others, along with Steve, cut that trail back in 2006 IIRC and named it after Crawford for all that he had done over the years.

From what I've always understood Mason Jar was named that because the first time they ran it they found a Mason Jar somewhere along the trail.
Lion's Den - it reminded someone of the Lion's Den from the story of Daniel in the Bible.
Fish Fossil - at one point there was a rock on the right side of the trail near the beginning that had a fossilized fish imprinted in it. I'm not sure if it's still there now, I haven't been able to spot it the last few times I've ran it.

hokie_yj said:
From what I've always understood Mason Jar was named that because the first time they ran it they found a Mason Jar somewhere along the trail.
Lion's Den - it reminded someone of the Lion's Den from the story of Daniel in the Bible.
Fish Fossil - at one point there was a rock on the right side of the trail near the beginning that had a fossilized fish imprinted in it. I'm not sure if it's still there now, I haven't been able to spot it the last few times I've ran it.

X2 on all of them. A TV show, extreme 4x4 I think said there were several Mason jars like it was an old still site. It would be a damn good place for one back in the day! :drinkers:

hokie_yj said:

That's pretty cool stuff. I figured Mason jar was either that or what was being drank out of when they made it ;D

jeeptj99 said:
Maybe TBI can answer this but how did Razor back and honeybee get their names at GMP? i've always wondered that.

I love Razor Back!!! It was A cluster **** Saturday about 4 PM. Wish I would have had my phone . At the top there was rigs broke at every possible line you could take to get out at the same time major carnage and no way to get around them

Re:

Razorback used to be a tight, narrow, crawl up a razor back ridge. It's got wallowed out and widened a bunch in the past decade.

Honeybee was like a bunch of other trails, bunch a damn bees swarming those rocks!

Hellavator was originally "Lunchbox", because it would eat your rig for lunch, and was a great place for a big group to gather and eat lunch while people took turns climbing the slab.

civicmindedex79 said:

I believe that was Mac Murphy. I went to marks shop when BROK got together to start cutting trails there.

Re:

TBItoy said:
Razorback used to be a tight, narrow, crawl up a razor back ridge. It's got wallowed out and widened a bunch in the past decade.

Honeybee was like a bunch of other trails, bunch a damn bees swarming those rocks!

Hellavator was originally "Lunchbox", because it would eat your rig for lunch, and was a great place for a big group to gather and eat lunch while people took turns climbing the slab.

Very cool info. What about the moon and I get the satan trail it made me cuss a bunch Friday

Re: Re:

86chevota said:
Very cool info. What about the moon and I get the satan trail it made me cuss a bunch Friday

The Moon came from us being broke over there, while our tow rigs/camp were up by the RV parking and my buddy Mike says "We're broke all to **** all the way over here on the damn MOON and we aint even got no damn beer!!"

Underestimated at harlan was named after the group of guys from underestimated off-road that cut it. It was a club in celina ohio (some friends of ours). . We were the first to exit it successfully but just left the name when they told us We could rename it.

mckeddie said:
Underestimated at harlan was named after the group of guys from underestimated off-road that cut it. It was a club in celina ohio (some friends of ours). . We were the first to exit it successfully but just left the name when they told us We could rename it.
That trail is named Perfectly!