• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tranny Movement

kdawgmu

Technical question for you guys. I have an Atlas 4 sp under my TJ and I"m in the process of installing 60's with double triangulated 4 link rear. The crossmember for my 4 link runs directly under the output shaft/yoke of my Atlas. Anyone have any ideas as to, how much clearance I should leave between the yoke and the crossmember? How much flex and movement is in the drivetrain? I"m thinking vertical movement should be minimal but I don't really know for sure. Crossmember is welded in place permanently so I don't want to screw this up.

Thanks in advance!

zukiscott said:
Yea they had a tranny movement in Atlanta several years back and now they have their own parades and everything :****:

I have to admit, I laughed my @ss off when I read this title.

Zukiscott...I like that! LOL

Here are a few pics and some of the quirks I've got to deal with. The crossmember is designed to fit flush between the chasis and directly behind the skid plate. However, in order to get my Atlas out I must leave 2" behind the tail casing so the studs can be slide out of the transmission. As you'll see in the pics, I"ve mocked the crossmember up behind the Atlas 2 inches and lowered it about an inch to get 1350 Yoke Clearance. So, the tighter tolerance I can get against the yoke with the crossmember the better overall fit of the crossmember and more ground clearance. As it sits now, the crossmember will be about 1 inch below the skidplate. I'll need to fab an extension from my skid to the crossmembe

Here you can see the end of the crossmember and how it will hang below the chasis.

build.png

Here you can see the crossmember and how it will hang below the skid.

build3.png

Here are the 2 inches between the tail piece and the crossmember.

build2.png

This one is alittle harder to see, the axle joint cap is the bright section of the pic. You can see the clearance above the crossmember, which is currently about 1/2 inch. I dont have my Atlas yoke yet but this 1350 driveshaft is being centered on the 1310 Atlas yoke.

build1.png

I know this is all alittle hard to picture and understand but the gist of my question is the needed clearance between the Atlas yoke and crossmember. I plan to use a tailpiece support ring which should help eliminate movement as well.

Hope the pics help

From what I get from the pics.... once you get the shaft completely built and bolted in place ,and youre suspension set up mocked up and tacked in place ,, just tack everything up and cycle the hell outta the suspension

over and over and if anything even LOOKS close to hitting / rubbing , modify the skid and or crosssmember at that time.

them little pics are some help but not much though ,,, how much you are stretching the wheelbase and yer projected ride heigth will be factors as well.