• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tubing notcher

Rjhoward32006

I know we have talked about it and looked at several threads. I want a decent tube notcher. I wont be using it to build a whole cage but i donor want it falling apart like the harbor freight ones. I see that summit has several from $100-$200 from a couple different suppliers like
Woodward
Ol joint jigger
Proform
Baileigh
Allstar

Anyone every try one of these? Which one, howd you like it

Re: Re: Tubing notcher

I have a JD2, but use the wrappers from BTPro and a cutoff wheel then flap disk to prep. Faster than setting up the notcher. :dblthumb:

I started with a HF unit, now use a JD2 notch master and it does well. If you have the coin go with a baileigh tn250 and don't look back, notching in a bend easily will make your life much much more enjoyable.

I have been looking at the versanotcher, is there anything you don't like about it?

Review I did here. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-tools/1486290-versanotcher-review.html

If you are notching a lot of straight tube at any angle it will not need to be adjusted much, that said I am notching into multiple different radius rolled tube and bends so it has to be recentered constantly but I have not found a notch I can't do with it yet. After owning this there is no way I could go back to the HF/old joint jigger style.

SomewhiteGuy said:
Review I did here. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-tools/1486290-versanotcher-review.html

If you are notching a lot of straight tube at any angle it will not need to be adjusted much, that said I am notching into multiple different radius rolled tube and bends so it has to be recentered constantly but I have not found a notch I can't do with it yet. After owning this there is no way I could go back to the HF/old joint jigger style.

have you used a tn250? I am wondering how much easier it is then the versanotcher, the versanotcher is the only one in that price range that you can clamp on a bend easily. I don't have a tube roller but am starting to notch in bends more and more as my experience grows with bending.

I've only used two notchers the jd2 and one similar. I like the jd2 but too much coin for me, i'm a cheap ass. I already have a cage just need to run a couple bars to the frame to stiffen it up from side to side and minor things like that. Thanks for the info so far. Has anyone ever tried one of those $100-$170 that summit sells

If you are only using it for a few bars and it will be a "wear item" just get the hf one and shim it, then take it back when it shits on you and get new one.

JD said:
have you used a tn250? I am wondering how much easier it is then the versanotcher, the versanotcher is the only one in that price range that you can clamp on a bend easily. I don't have a tube roller but am starting to notch in bends more and more as my experience grows with bending.
The tn250 is a very nice tool, I think about $250 more when I priced it out and I just couldn't justify spending that much.