• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Turbo 350, Turbo 400??????

Nolkemper622

Alright Boys 1999 Wrangler Tj, 5.3, Atlas 4.3 5:13s wondering what you guy think for transmission, th350 or th400, I know th400 you got little more insurance "protection" due to being able to hold more power but I guess im worried about the gear ratio. What's best for my application??

Re:

The only downfall to a th400 from a th350 is they are a little more power hungry, but i dont think you would ever notice it in an off road rig. Th400 is quote a bit stronger, but plenty of people run th350,myself included, with no problems. I have been running an old stock one for 2 years now with no issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Re:

Been tossing this around too since I'm about to do a 5.3 swap in my juggy but I've got 2 700s and the one that's been in the jeep hasn't failed me once behind a 350 and on 39s the past 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re:

09zkrankin said:
The only downfall to a th400 from a th350 is they are a little more power hungry, but i dont think you would ever notice it in an off road rig. Th400 is quote a bit stronger, but plenty of people run th350,myself included, with no problems. I have been running an old stock one for 2 years now with no issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kinda what I was thinking as well my uncle can build both to me almost bomb proof so I guess it just determines what I cant make a deal on with somebody

I would viote th400. But, go with what your uncle jim says...he knows just a bit about transmissions. :dblthumb:

tailshaft housing is stronger on th400 plus has 6 mounting bolts compared to 4 bolts for th350. I vote for th400

b.boyd said:
I would viote th400. But, go with what your uncle jim says...he knows just a bit about transmissions. :dblthumb:

Haha good ole uncle Jimmy guess you put two and two together when you seen Nolkemper??? how do you know that old fart??

Nolkemper622 said:
Haha good ole uncle Jimmy guess you put two and two together when you seen Nolkemper??? how do you know that old fart??
Well Nolkemper is a unique name...so you have to be related :drinkers:
I know jim from back when he and Andy use to come to my home in Tennessee to ride in the late 90s and early 2000.. Really good guy who knows a thing or two about transmissions.

thats a tough question, the 400 hundred does have the 6 bolt rear mounting flange,,, and i have broke a few of them, never broke a 350, 400 hundreds have stronger internals, but since your gears down the 350 wont be stressed out or working to hard, , i vote 350,,, ive been running a 4l60e for the last 10 years, going good still, the best thing for the tranny is been geared down to take the strain off it,

Latest posts