• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Two piece driveshaft?

skipnrocks

I am building a 2 peice driveshaft with wod Ultimate carrier bearing. My drive train is solid mount. Does the shaft from the tcase to the carrier bearing have to have a slip?

He-man's carrier bearings rock!
Installed one in the heavy chevy and one in Zaynes.
I'll be running one on the next build if it needs it.

I tried it without a slip and had all kinds of problems. I did make the drive shafts myself and they weren't perfectly balanced, so I am sure that contributed to the problem. but I have had no more problems since going to a slip on both sides. IMHO it is money well spent.

uglyoffroad said:
I tried it without a slip and had all kinds of problems. I did make the drive shafts myself and they weren't perfectly balanced, so I am sure that contributed to the problem. but I have had no more problems since going to a slip on both sides. IMHO it is money well spent.

X2 it needs the slip

Yes, definitely run a slip. I was going to used the ultimate bearing, but I didn't have room for it. I'm going to use there standard single ended carrier bearing on the front and rear of build. They say it doesn't have to have a slip, but I'm still going to put in a slip.

hokie_yj said:
Yes, definitely run a slip. I was going to used the ultimate bearing, but I didn't have room for it. I'm going to use there standard single ended carrier bearing on the front and rear of build. They say it doesn't have to have a slip, but I'm still going to put in a slip.
do not do it this way on a single end you will have bearing problems

I don't have a slip front or back on mine with no issues and I am running Ryan's carrier bearings
300r8s6.jpg

when you land on the drive shaft it twists the bearing race because there is no support on the other side of the shaft these little bearings cant take it on the ultra bearing the bearings are a lot beefier and can take it but you need a slip on both sides so you can get it out easier and it will put no side load on it even on a solid mount setup the frame will still move and cause premature wear

Rohlingoffroad said:
I don't have a slip front or back on mine with no issues and I am running Ryan's carrier bearings
300r8s6.jpg
thanks for the good word this is the single end style but made for 14 bolt yokes and are used correctly

traveler said:
do not do it this way on a single end you will have bearing problems

Well I guess you would know. You designed these right? If you say not to I'll heed your advice. I've bought all the parts to do it, but I haven't started building my shafts yet.

I'm building a rear-engine single seat buggy. Both axles are offset to the "passenger" side. My drivetrain is poly mounted, and it sits in the chassis angled 15* horizontally and with about 8* vertical angle. (The output for the rear axle pointed up, and the output for the front axle pointed down)

Even with those angles you don't think I'll need some kind of slip in the mid shaft? How should I set the angles on the mid shafts for the best performance?

And I apologize to the OP for the thread jacking.

just try to split the angle the best you can and not trying to be a hard ass just trying to offer help thumb.gif

yankster said:
Where did you buy the driveshaft parts?

I ordered most of my stuff from my local Fleet Pride. All Spicer parts except for the Neapco long spline PTO shafts and couplers. They beat all the online sources I could find by a few dollars on every part, plus no shipping.

traveler said:
just try to split the angle the best you can and not trying to be a hard ass just trying to offer help thumb.gif

That's not the way I took it at all. I'm glad you said something. You saved me headache down the road. This is the first time I've ever attempted to do something like this and I'll take all the help I can get, and I really appreciate it. :dblthumb:

Latest posts