• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

U-Joint Stress Test

So is the load, as they apply it (straight through the cross section), representative of the load induced while in use? It seems to me that the rotational loading would be different than the sheer load they are applying.

Not questioning the test or results I'm just not a Physics major.

So is the load, as they apply it (straight through the cross section), representative of the load induced while in use? It seems to me that the rotational loading would be different than the sheer load they are applying.

It just goes to show there is lab tests and real life tests.

I think the lab tests give a decent comparesen(sp)

this test appears to be for comparison value only. not real world rotational testing. I dont think it is practical to find someone with equipment to twist all four joints off. as long as all 4 are tested the same it still provides consistant data.

I think Bob is the only companny I have seen test his and others products to destruction (in public) and publish the results.

I have whitnessed many broken parts on his machine, if it was possible to break those joints in his machine he would do it,(bob loves to break things) only I think it would damage the machine. thats the reason for the test you seen on the link. just my opinion and thoughts.

keep sending out good parts, Bob.:awesomework:

I think for the type of stress induced in wheeling, the test that was done was about the best you could do. the only other think would be to be able to induce oposing force (press on bottom of 1 and upper on the other) but that would be nearly impossible.. you could use the "axle" machine, but i don't think that will break them

If you look at the broken pieces of the test, you'll see that they broke in a manner similar to real world damage. I'd say it was certainly close enough to a real world example as could be easily tested.

By looking at the test I'd have to offer that it's pretty damn close to 100% valid. The only difference is that in an actual application, the ends are loaded opposite from one another, not the same, as was done in the tests. I have to assume that equal machining is done between bearing surfaces which would mean that the stressed areas have equal weaknesses/strengths.

Great test and good info.

Latest posts