• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ultra bell

jasper

Need a couple opinions. I cut off the bell housing off a 400 turbo and installed an ultrabell and bought a 12" converter. Then because I'm stupid I decide to read the instructions. They claim a 12" converter won't fit. So I called J.W. And they claimed some 12" converters may fit. Has anyone ran into this problem? And were you able to fit a 12" converter in there?

Been there and done that, had a K5 blazer with a th 350 transmission, busted the bell housing on a new trans, so I cut it off and got a new ultra bell, and the stock converter would not fit.

some converters will hit bell mounting bolts but you can counter bore them deeper.
i had 12" once and it was hitting bolts but i just sinked them deeper and it fitted fine

Sounds like a plan. It's getting rebuilt right now. When I get it back I'll see if it works as is. If not I'll see about counter boring them. What kind of bolt did you use?

My problem was just the converter was to big around, and rubbed the inside of the bell all the way around and not letting the converter go all the way in.

jasper said:
Sounds like a plan. It's getting rebuilt right now. When I get it back I'll see if it works as is. If not I'll see about counter boring them. What kind of bolt did you use?

used the same bolts just shortened them same amount as depth of counter bore cut was.