• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Unique safety features you build into a rig?

DHR Darren

Aside from the standard belts, cage, ect what are some things you add or do to increase your safety?

I always build my throttle pedals with a toe hook & use a morse cable (push/pull) so you can lift a hung throttle.

Lets hear your tricks!

Cage. Tied directly into frame and lots of cross bracing. Fire extinguisher handy. No door bars....more of a hindrance to get out quickly if necessary. Seats and belts tied into cage. Disconnect switch. Winch cable with a stop before hook (prevents hand crunching). First aid kit. Oh **** handles in easy to reach places for passenger. ALWAYS have some sort of door on. Tube, half, full or whatever. Keeps all legs in rig. Padding on all head hitting areas. Ebrake (or for me line locks) and all suplies are tied down/ covered with no way to reach the occupants ........

The list could go on and on.....

What are some unique things that you build in that you don't see on many other rigs?

I like your list as that should be standard for all.

A ****ing BRAIN.

NO amount of special equipment or tricks can replace common sense and good judgement.

I think enough folks value a good roof skin. A good cage wont keep a stump/snag out tho.

Oh yeah, a fuel cuttoff too.

A ****ing BRAIN.

NO amount of special equipment or tricks can replace common sense and good judgement.

I think enough folks value a good roof skin. A good cage wont keep a stump/snag out tho.

Yup using ones head will prevent more than not.

Everything gets a good going over before each race so I know nothing is going to be an issue. I also have a fuel pump cut off switch in reach if needed.

Very true.
I like a master cutoff in cab also in addition to a battery located kill switch.

A ****ing BRAIN.

I have a master batt switch for my ignition feeds and a main batt switch for my batteries.

Very good to have!
Has anyone here installed a fire suppression system on your rigs?
Extinguishers are nice but if you are harnessed in it can take a bit to get out & under control.

Very good to have!
Has anyone here installed a fire suppression system on your rigs?
Extinguishers are nice but if you are harnessed in it can take a bit to get out & under control.

Maybe if you race but your way over complicating something for a wheeler. Plus you loose the ability to help somebody else.

Even being upside down, I have never experienced any difficulty getting out of a 5 point harness. I have had simpson harnesses in the past, now I have master craft, they are all basicly the same if you spend the right money. I imagine that if the rig is on fire getting out would be the same as not, unless you are unconscious of course. I also ware a rock climbing helmet at times to avoid that, and all of my tools and gear is strapped down to the floor very securely. As well as most of the rest of the stuff mentioned.

Make sure the people that are ridding with you know where the kill switches are and how they work.

I have the normal stuff... good cage, Mastercraft seats and harnesses, tin roof on the cage, etc... but I also have a seatbelt knife mounted with Velcro between the driver's and passanger's seats, and a second knife mounted on the roll bar by the tailgate, so I can cut the kid's belts if I need to. Kids ride in PRP Junior Dragster seats and belts, also mounted to subframe.

I mounted the knifes after the KOH fire a couple years ago,

Both fire extinguishers are rollbar mounted with quick releases, and easily accessed by bystanders if needed.