• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

up grading axels in a stock 94 yj

tennessee_4x4_man

guys can you tell me what year ford to look for to up grade to better axels hard to find scout axels was hopeing to maby use a set 1/2 or 3/4 ford drivers drop so i can run the 4.0 and ax 15 with factory case just wounting to get some ideas what to look for thanks

Wagoneer axles if you want to keep it closer to stock width. I wouldn't consider a scout front axle. Ford d44 is a good option but usually requires outboarding your springs

i rember i think fords use 36 inch wide spring perches cj 7 was 27.5 and wranger was 32 like chevy was most wngoners 6 lug and had a off set pinion in rear

Re: up grading axels in a stock 94 yj

I'd run stock stuff with 31s/33s till it's time for one tons and 37"+ tires. Everything else just seems like a money pit that gets swapped out anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 30/8.8 seems to do pretty well for 35-36" for cheap and will teach you to become a better driver.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Pretty sure 1977.5 - 1979 F250 D44 or Snowfighter D60 will bolt straight up, 1980 is when they got wider (spring perch)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thanks guys may run the 30 35 till they lay down then up grade i was thinking 78 or 79 ford 3/4 would be maby a 44 frount and a 60 rear are them pretty good to use under a jeep

onepieceatatime said:
A 30/8.8 seems to do pretty well for 35-36" for cheap and will teach you to become a better driver.

This! I ran a 30/8.8 with lockrites and 4.56 gears on 33s & 35s for about 10 years and only broke the front 1 time and that was due to a front ujoint spitting the cap out and breaking the ears off the shafts. I didn't beat it down though. I knew it's limitations but climbed just about everything I put it on. It was a fun ride but it wasnt' a bouncer. If you don't treat it like one then you shouldn't have any problems.

when you say 8.8 is that a late module stering axel and it going to be 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern does it haft to be cut down i read some where the 30/35 is likem 60 inchs wide wms to wms

8.8 they are talkin about is the 90s Ford Explorer rear end. It's narrow and the same lug pattern as a Jeep 5x4.5.

It's the same strength as the full-size f150 rear end but narrower and the correct lug pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a lot better luck with stock Dana 30s when I ran stock shafts with solid Spicer joints and learned not to hammer on it with the wheels at full lock and don't put it in some crazy bind.

Edited after reading my drunk post once I got sobered up.

any idea what a factory 94 jeep wranger 5 speed 4.0 mote would be geared 355 or 373 or 411 so the 96 up explore axel is close to same as the 35 dana as far as wheel mouting with

Yea I think it's like a 1/2" off

As for the gears, more than likely 3.55. I think the 3.73 and 4.11 were four cylinder gear options

Some 4.0 came with 3.73. There are spacers that are 1/2 or 3/4" that just slide over your studs that work perfect for the 8.8 swap.

I ran an 8.8 in my YJ and never worried about wheel spacers because the difference is so minimal that you'll never notice unless you're super anal. I've also learned to like having the rear narrower than the front on the trail because once you get the the front past you know you got some wiggle room to go on the rear. Once I went to tons my front end was 4" wider on the rear.

4.0 5 speed would be 3.08 from the factory....

Find a 4.10 8.8 for the rear and a wrangler 2.5 5 speed d30 front which will be 4.10 also

now that is a great idea i would hate 308 gears buddie of mine has a dana 60 i think from a ford frount its ball joint would that axel be good for the frount i would love some info on the dana 60 ford ball joint i hope it and a 50

ab997ac3dad77e789254c12edf8bdb08.jpg