• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Van Epps pass

Van epps and Galleger (lake) are very nice areas. Not really hard wheeling unless snow is present but very senic. Was a big mining area in the day and lots of old mines still in the area. Best one I have found is on Paddy go easy pass. tough uphill hike but a neat hardrock mine to explore. Not doable until summer though because of water in the mine. If you go up to Van Epps stop and take the short hike over to lake Ann. very pretty lake in a rock bowl.

I've attempted several of the old trails up that way off Salmon La Sac/Fish Lake, I've never made it all the way as we usually camp up their in May and every year there's been too much snow still. This year I'm thinking of switching up my camping and doing Salmon la Sac late summer so we can get up to the mines and lakes.

As Jim said the trails aren't hard, very nice views. Last year when I was up there a couple of the trails had some really narrow spots, where you end up hanging the majority of a tire over the edge due to wash outs. Those spots can be pretty un-nerving since its a LONG way down with nothing to catch you. I'm on Toyota axles with 37 Iroks and I wouldn't want to go through those spots with anything wider, unless I pre-ran a winch line to the other side.

We went in 2011 for the July 4th weekend. Camped at Lake Gallagher. At night:redneck:drove to the Van Epps mine "area"....and beyond. We made an effort to drive (wheel) on every available road/trail/path. There's more to this area than folks lead on.:awesomework: Get a map. Research with Google Earth. If you have and can use a GPS, do it. Every road is a dead end.....but well worth the journey. There's direct connections to a few great great hiking trail too, btw.:D

It was a great trip. Highly recommended.....after running the Naches Wagon trail:cheer::fawkdancesmiley:

One of the guys I hunt with wants to take a trip up there later this summer. He doesn't have anything close to a Jeep so he asked me if I would drive up there. Like I need a reason to wheel.....:redneck:

The Rock'd n Lock'd club has adopted all the Cle Elum Valley trails for opening & clean up, we can't access till June 15th per Mikki. But yes, w/ snow they are a challenge to run :D

http://rockdnlockd.forumotion.com/t883-gallager-run

was with my brother a week or two after these guys did it, and we turned around. i would have liked to push through but would require lots of technical winching and my brother and wife were not down. its funny how it goes from the hardest trail around to one of the easiest throughout the summer.
this area borders the alpine lakes wilderness zone and comes up once in a while to be shut down, so ejoy while you can and dont get all bo duke up there in your fullsize when you conquer the top and feel like you should toot yer horns.:redneck:

this area borders the alpine lakes wilderness zone and comes up once in a while to be shut down, so ejoy while you can and dont get all bo duke up there in your fullsize when you conquer the top and feel like you should toot yer horns.:redneck:

Currently under such an attack. The WTA is offended that vehicles can be heard from the Wilderness which disturbs the solitude they seek during their Wilderness experience. The idea is to turn the area into a Widerness study area then adjust the Wilderness boundry.

Before you flame the solitude idea you should consider it is a legitimate arguement when considering Wilderness boundrys.

Currently under such an attack. The WTA is offended that vehicles can be heard from the Wilderness which disturbs the solitude they seek during their Wilderness experience. The idea is to turn the area into a Widerness study area then adjust the Wilderness boundry.

Before you flame the solitude idea you should consider it is a legitimate arguement when considering Wilderness boundrys.

IMHO...Screw Tree Huggers.....They need to realize that they have the WHOLE Cascade range to HUG trees.. and we have to fight for our (4x4 Wheeling area!!!!) which in my view is about the least that the forest service/ DNR...That The .GOV will let us have for OUR type of Fun!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

IMHO...Screw Tree Huggers.....They need to realize that they have the WHOLE Cascade range to HUG trees.. and we have to fight for our (4x4 Wheeling area!!!!) which in my view is about the least that the forest service/ DNR...That The .GOV will let us have for OUR type of Fun!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I agree, but they will not realize this.

They are well funded, well organized and motivated.

The only way to prevent them from "protecting" more land is to be equally motivated, organized and funded. Pissing and moaning, then tearing **** up at Gallaher Head lake only fuels their agenda.

The only way to prevent them from "protecting" more land is to be equally motivated, organized and funded. Pissing and moaning, then tearing **** up at Gallaher Head lake only fuels their agenda.

:awesomework:

You are Right Buddy!!!!:awesomework::awesomework:...SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH 4x4's...If they like Wheeling...They SHOULD BE UP FOR A .GOV fight like we are to keep our wheeling area!!!!!!!If you don't fight for it!!!!You must be a tree hugger at heart!!! and not a TRUE WHEELER!!!!!!....:mad::mad::mad::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::wtf:

Last edited:
Pissing and moaning,....

Whoops:corn:

You have severely misjudged the personalities of the active members on the NorthWest Wheelers. Don't feel bad for trying to lend helpful insight:awesomework:it's a good thing. But "they" (wheelers) have proven time and time again......with their actions......that necessary change is not in the cards.

And so, they wait out time. It's sad.:mad:

The area is highly sensitive. VERY close to being shut down to motorized use. I encourage you to do your own research & check it out for yourself. Then STFU about it. I didn't realize you were new to this:wtf: Especially you Stealthrunner:eeek: