• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Vertical Scope - Pirate4x4 Password Hack

Not that VS is known for customer service, but imagine how many emails like that they are getting right now ...

... VS owns 939 sites that were hacked.

Pirate alone has almost a million members.

If every site had 1/4 those members and 1% of them emailed, that's 2,347,500 emails they need to return.

If it were me I would abandon my screen name and create a new one. Change all your passwords on sites that you used the same as Pirate. I think the chances of VS returning all those emails is small. I know I start hitting the delete key when my inbox get to around 50 or so! :)

I know what you're about to say so I'll beat you to it ... "I hate Pirate, they're mean to me, it's not worth signing up again. Can someone explain a 4-link to me please?" :rolf:

Patooyee, thanks for the investigating work. I guess its a good thing my name is not listed in there.

sledneck said:
Patooyee, thanks for the investigating work. I guess its a good thing my name is not listed in there.

It's not really investigating. It's just copying and pasting info available on the net. But you're welcome.

I didn't know what a sledneck was until I looked it up in relation to that post. I even lived in MN and MI for a while and was a sledneck for several years. Going fast across a wide open frozen lake is fun. :)

This recent heat wave here in FL has me wishing for frozen lakes again!

**** has me locked out, wouldn't accept the password from the reset email. Sent them an email about but not very confident i will hear anything back.

Pirate password

Anybody know how to change your password or get the hacked account to work again. I've tried everything.

I clicked on the security notice, emailed the admin, told them my email that I had hasn't been used in about 6 years. Gave them my new email and my user name. Got a new password to my email in a couple hours this morning.

Re: Pirate password

al1tonyota said:
Well it's prob not hacked to start with... They sent out an email a couple of weeks ago with a new password.

Well.i can't get into my old account anymore

Re: Pirate password

al1tonyota said:
Well it's prob not hacked to start with... They sent out an email a couple of weeks ago with a new password.

The risk isn't that some dork behind a keyboard is going to log into Pirate4x4 and come out of the closet using your screen name. The real risk is, and always was, that they got a password from your Pirate account that you also used somewhere else, like your bank account, and they will then have access to your financials or more important info. There is all sorts of shady **** they can do at that point.

So yes, all Pirate accounts are now safe. But hackers taking over the 4x4 forum world was not ever the concern. VS was simply a big easy target to farm info from to use on other more important sites. At this point there is nothing you need to do on Pirate if you don't ever care to go back or if you want to create a new screen name. It is every website in the world that you ever used your original Pirate pw for that you need to worry about.

I know you probably know this, al1tonyota. Just pointing it out for others who might not get it yet.

So has anyone ever gotten their password reset and able to access their account ? I tried the email link and the email I received wanted my SSN, DOB, etc...uhhh yeah, I don't think so. On Pirate4x4 face book page, it seems as if no one has been successful .

rugger99 said:
So has anyone ever gotten their password reset and able to access their account ? I tried the email link and the email I received wanted my SSN, DOB, etc...uhhh yeah, I don't think so. On Pirate4x4 face book page, it seems as if no one has been successful .

I had no problem with mine. :****: