• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wanna Be buggy build

Cool. I just figured I'd pass that along. I'm learning a lot about how to build these things and seems like one could really make things easy on themselves by just tweaking a few things here and there. Keep it up :dblthumb:

Made some more progress over the week and yesterday.

Jacked up the arbor and set screws on my versa notcher, oops, so waiting on more arbors.
Already bent the A pillar / roof line bars up, just need to get them notched on squared up on top.

These pipe clamp things are extremely handy too.

Got the A pillar / roof bar done.... and well it was way too tall. Giant sized to be more exact. I looked like a midget.

So we lowered the front B pillar and sectioned off the front of the A pillar a bit and the rear of the roof bar. Much much better fit.

Hoping to get all the roof bracing done this week and maybe start the seat mounting and dash bars this weekend. :driving:

Got a little work done this week. Got the door bars bent up, but won't tack them in until interior is done. Also got the roof bracing knocked out. The versanocther is pure boob1 being able to notch in a bend and how easy the compound notches were to do.

A little set back though, my DD tow pig needs injectors bad. So I ordered some fancy ones and I'll get those in next week when they show up.

I also ordered a **** load of tabs and a 14 bolt truss/pinion guard deal from Ruff Stuff. Hopefully that'll all be here next week too.

Not buggy related except this ol pig has to tow it for at least another 250K miles!

Got some work done but didn't have time to upload since I was elbow deep replacing injectors on my pig.

My buddy that is usually helping me (knowing his is next) insisted that we made the windshield bars with a little flare. I think it turned out pretty decent. Got some bracing coming off, trying to leave no tube "dead".

Next was the rear. The propane brackets will sit down in between the 2 bars on bottom and weld in place. By accident it actually fits the radius of the tank pretty well.

got the engine and trans/tcases squared up and started eye balling for mounts. Going to do all solid mounts. Most of the mounts will be 1.75x.250 DOM just because it's laying around and beef doesn't hurt.

Lastly, got part of my order from Ruff Stuff in. Waiting for the 16 tabs they forgot and the battery box that was back ordered.

Been getting some work done. A lot of the tedious stuff now. Also been racking my brains trying to figure out how the dash and interior is going to come together.

Got engine mounts done, front trans/tcase mount and rear support off of the 205. Seats mounted and a 1/4' plate over the rear output to protect my ass when the rear shaft decides to take a vacation.

Ordered a super fancy triple stick shifter for the doubler from JB Fab. Finally got all my stuff from Ruff Stuff too; all sorts of tabs and battery box (which UPS all but destroyed).

Been playing around with the steering column, think I've figured out a way to make it adjustable up and down.

They are not bolted down, once they are they are squared up and straight.

Been slacking on updates lately. The small tedious stuff just isn't as interesting or fun I guess.

Got the brake pedal and masters mounted up, Wilwood dual 7/8 I think is what I went with. It's been a few weeks. I'm not too crazy about how the fitment went, mainly because I didn't plan ahead and I had to cut a section of tube out to get it in the right spot.

The go pedal is mounted up. I've still got to get a throttle cable and get it set up. I just got one of those cheap "racecar" pedals from Speedway, I'll probably end up modifying it. I'm thinking of cutting it down on the top side to fit under a dash panel and adding some sort of plate so I have a bigger pad for my heavy foot to land.

Made a little center console thingy for the shifters. I have full range of motion for the trans shifter, but I can't reach the triple sticks for the tcases while strapped in tight. My Toyota was the same way, I usually had my passenger shift in that anyway. Usually when riding around I'll pick tcase gears at base of a hill or obstacle and then tighten the shoulder belts down.

Also go the radiator and propane tank weldered up in place.

Last update is the rear axle. Got the spring perches cut off and all cleaned up. Then tacked the RuffStuff truss in place.

Next I need to get the front axle in place and start mocking up the links and shock mounting.

Was planning on welding aluminum tabs and using bushings to mount the radiator. But I decided against testing my stick AL stick welding skills on my radiator and just hacked up and re-purposed my old mount. It worked before, so I'm sure it'll work again.

Oh and did I forget to mention the bling?
Hit up Ryan from Accutune Offroad and got the shocks and springs ordered. Ended up getting Fox 16" 2.0 remote resi. Ryan was great to deal with especially since I basically told him I wanted 16" coil overs and that's all I knew. Gave him some info to get an idea of weight and #whatnot, then he did his thing with the custom tune and setting up spring rates. I'm really excited to see how well they work. Springs should be here in a week or so I believe.

Eddyj said:
Looks good. You set a goal on when to roll it out of the shop by?

Tomorrow? I wish.

I'm not real sure. Hopefully less than 2 more months. I'm pretty impatient and have a can't sit still issue.....

Money is gonna be slow the next couple weeks though. Still need to get the front truss, heims, aluminum sheets for interior and random plumbing stuff here and there. But my DD/tow pig just spit out another trans, depending on how much that's gonna cost will dictate the finish date.

And while building mine, I'm helping my buddy with his toys. A third gen toyota we are building a 4.3 V6 and back halfing (at least planned to). And an old square body chevy mud truck he just got with 50"ish ag tires and rockwells, got a few things to clean up on that for him.

So got some more parts ordered. Went ahead and ordered an entire set of 1.25" heims, bungs, jams and spacers (so 16 heims and all that goes with), that will leave me with my old RuffStuff ones as spares. I've got the left overs from the 3 link.
Also ordered the Artec truss for my D60 up front. Seems as the Dodge axle isn't popular so that has a few week wait time. Also got some shock tabs from Artec.

Still looking to get some 1/8" aluminum sheets to do the interior and roof panels. So far just got a price from L&W, $100 per 4x8 sheet and they have in stock. Might go snatch that up soon unless someone has a better lead.

So while I wait for all that I figured I'd open up the garage and sweat my ass off getting the front axle mocked up. So far it's not looking to great. #1 it's heavy to move alone #2 might have a little higher ride height than I was planning to be able to clear the driveshaft of the engine cradle and starter. Guess that's what I get for mounting the engine so low, but it's too late to raise it now. Shouldn't be a big deal, only 2-3 inches difference maybe.

Also I fudged up big time with the wheelbase. May be able to change some stuff out back to get it closer to the 120" mark I was aiming for but currently I'm at a rough 132". i think I can slide the rear axle forward an inch or two before having to change one part of the frame. That would still put me at 130". I kinda wanted to be able to avoid 300 point turns. Power slides cures that problem though right?

Onto the Peeeeeeeeeectures.

Dark picture, but this is where the driveshaft and yoke will be in trouble with the engine cradle and starter. I'll end up lowering the bump 2-3 inches it looks like. I'll wait for a helping had before I try to move this guy again.

The springs showed up from Accutune, dropped shipped from PAC. They look awesome. Hopefully I'll get them mocked up in a year or two.... I mean weeks....

So it's been a while since I've updated. Been busy dealing with the stupid tow pig and that nightmare shop deal; and just plain been busy working stupid hours.

I got a few more parts in. Radiator hose, tube clamps and some more link mounts. The tube clamps and link mounts were painful to me, site showed in stock but it took over a month to get them because the clamps were actually back ordered.

Any ways, got some stuff done. The brake pedal and throttle pedal are all mocked up and ready to go. I think I'll modify to throttle so the travel is a little longer. I got a dirt track car setup and all three positions just seem extremely short.

My main focus has been on the link set up on the front. My planning was poor so my wheel base is much longer and my ride height will be much higher than planned. But, I think it''ll work out. Though I do see rear steer in my near future. At the moment I've only got the front upper links set up.
Due to space and trying to keep it as low as possible, the uppers will be basically straight back. The lowers will be triangulated though. Once the front is all set in place the rear will be easy to set up, as there is loads of room for it.

I'm hoping to get to L&W fab Friday morning to pick up some aluminum sheets to do the interior. Then the dash and cab can be completed.

This is the upper link setup, I have maybe 1-2 more inches before bump.

Just a little view brake and throttle setup. Terrible picture, but it'll do.

Been rolling along slowly but surely. Got the front links all ready to go, everything just tacked in place now. Got lucky and used my old lowers from the Toyota for the uppers. Also made the lowers and uppers the same length front and rear, spares will be easy as there is only 2 sizes to choose from.
Waiting on a few tabs to show up tomorrow before I finish up the rear links. Made a cross-member for the rear lowers so they can be more triangulated. It is .188 DOM so all the lower tubes remain .188 or .250 DOM.
Been thinking of getting some 2.25" x .120 DOM to sleeve the lowers. I don't see the extra .25" giving me any space issues. I think the strength gains would make me feel better about the long lowers.

Also cut out a winch mount. Not sure if I'm completely set on it yet.

Thanks crawler nut!

Got the rear links all mocked up and the mounts tacked in. I'll get the links cut out later this week. Hoping it'll work good and keep

Oh I got some cool bump stop things too.

Bling

Got the front shocks mounted up now too. The bump cans are also tacked on, still have to make the landing pad on the axle for the bumps though.

It may be the pic, but it looks like your front shocks aren't angled in enough. Bolt a tire on and see if there is any contact.

Tube work looks good.

Re:

How much separation do you have frame side front links? Looks flat? +1 on mounting the tire. My shocks have more angle and would've rubbed but I went 4.5 bs on rims to clear interference of tire coil and rim caliper

the_white_shadow said:
It may be the pic, but it looks like your front shocks aren't angled in enough. Bolt a tire on and see if there is any contact.

Tube work looks good.

The one picture does make them look goofy. But, they aren't angled in very much at all. If the top shock mount goes in any further I'll be hitting the frame. We took some measurements of the wheel and tire, so it should fit. I'll get a tire bolted up later this week to double check.

About the tube work, thanks! It's my first major project I've done. Bend Tech has been a major helping factor to get it all right.
ericsarge said:
How much separation do you have frame side front links? Looks flat? +1 on mounting the tire. My shocks have more angle and would've rubbed but I went 4.5 bs on rims to clear interference of tire coil and rim caliper

I don't remember the measurements off the top of my head. I'll get some later tonight.