That rock walker guy
Prices are estimated:

Roller housing - $2,000
3rd member - $2,000
Steering arms: $400
Tie rod: $100
Longs: $2,000
Brakes: ???

Is that about right? Whenever I see a spider housing up front they have about $7,000 into the front axle alone?

I was just thinking about what I'd do if my front axle didn't hold up (so far the hi-pinion 3rd has done the trick) so I started adding things up. Wow, it's a serious commitment. On Pirate I've read again and again that the spider housing is so cheap it's crazy not to go with it. I guess some of those costs would happen with either route but, wow.

So, is that what everybody does with a spider housing up front?

Yeah Spider Fronts are a lot of jack since. Hell any custom built front is a lot of money. You could save some money on shafts instead of Longs and you could go with parts store brakes. The rest of the stuff is pretty much required. Plus in the front you have a Hi-9 so they are not cheap.

Rear Spider is much cheaper, especially with a semi-float setup.

You will have a minimum of 6grand I would think. I have thought many times about it. Even the semi float rears are around 3 grand by the time you are done.

Would you have to have a HP 3rd in your buggy? I ran LP3rds and the tie rod behind the axle on both Sunray 609's I had built. Jimbro also runs a LP 9 in the Sunray Buggy.

That saves $1000.

I did Alloy USA's with Branik machining for $850 plus $500 for CTMs. That saves $500.

I am not impressed with Spider/Wilwood brakes.

I love the Spidertax knuckles though. They are simple and light. I have not had to tear into the Unit Bearings, and I hope I never will, but the no grease thing is really cool.

wngrog said:
Would you have to have a HP 3rd in your buggy?
I love the Spidertax knuckles though. They are simple and light. I have not had to tear into the Unit Bearings, and I hope I never will, but the no grease thing is really cool.
Nope, I run one now because the lp toyota third didn't hold up, I broke three of them. I mentioned the hp third only to say that it looks like it's doing the trick so far. If a lp 9" would hold I'd actually like it better because i could have more uptravel as the driveshaft clears the bell housing by the starter better.

I think I have my answer. An aftermarket 609 is going to run somewhere around $6-8k.

BTW, which center section is $1k? If even a spool is over $200 the entire center section would have to be $750 before shipping. Moser doesn't have prices on their website. :dunno: On a related note, the web is spreading rumors that alloy USA is out of business. I wonder if it's true?

I know who has an affordable, used, hi9 housing he'd probably sell........ thumb.gif

wngrog said:
I am not impressed with Spider/Wilwood brakes.

WHY? Is it the actual rotor and caliper or the master cylinders? Only asking becuase I just ordered my wilwood master cyilinder and pedal assmbly. I have also been thinking about making some hats and rotors to save some wieght.

Blase said:
WHY? Is it the actual rotor and caliper or the master cylinders? Only asking becuase I just ordered my wilwood master cyilinder and pedal assmbly. I have also been thinking about making some hats and rotors to save some wieght.

Mine and Carl's rotors were badly scored after the first trip out. They squeek.

Mine has a ton of gear and the manual brakes just make the rig hard to control.

I wish I had a hydro boost setup in it.

wngrog said:
Mine and Carl's rotors were badly scored after the first trip out. They squeek.

Mine has a ton of gear and the manual brakes just make the rig hard to control.

I wish I had a hydro boost setup in it.

What did you have on the Bash buggy? What are the spec's on your brakes?

I had a clutch and a 4 banger at 2500 # wet so they are different animals for sure.

Current is 3/4 bore dual master Wilwood with Spider 14'' rotors.

Seems alot of ppl are not happy with their manual brakes, I think I will rob my HB off my truck when I build a buggy. Its just big and requires alot of plubing VS manual brakes.

HB has been on my mind for my rig for a while. I have manual brakes with a vette master cylinder, it stops it........just not great. how well does it work with a full hydro steering setup? how does it get setup?

another Hardline thread derailed!

Brian

Billavista's HB is backwards on his buggy, seems like the thing to do.

Works great if you get vanco to hi flow it for 270 bucks. Just like a normal system after that. Mine works good with assist, with a stock p pump and its not even hi flowed. with full Hydro you have a line from pump to Hydro booster then one from HB to orbitol. And a xtra return from your rez to your HB. Other than that, its just like a reg system

ya, they have a hydro boost res. I am using it. If you have their regular res, all you need is another -6 an fitting welded in for another return to the HB unit.