• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What is a good multimeter?

Think the main feature I want is a replaceable fuse. Model I have used is junk if you get voltage on wrong setting. Good to 1/10 volt DC and 1 volt AC fits my needs. And easy. I hate manuals.

Sent using left thumb.

JohnG said:
Adam, do you know this one has a replaceable fuse. I like my Ideal, but don't like that there is no replacement fuse. At the price point, it should not be throw away.

It is fused.
----
The 61-340 and 61-342 are fused in both the ?A /mA input and 10 amperes input ports.
The ?A /mA input port is fused by F340: 500mA, 500V Fast Blow fuse. The 10A input port is fused by F342: 10A, 500V Fast Blow fuse

-----------

But, would that protect it if I put current on it while on continuity mode, or am I just asking too much. I need one to protect me from myself!

JohnG said:
It is fused.
----
The 61-340 and 61-342 are fused in both the ?A /mA input and 10 amperes input ports.
The ?A /mA input port is fused by F340: 500mA, 500V Fast Blow fuse. The 10A input port is fused by F342: 10A, 500V Fast Blow fuse

-----------

But, would that protect it if I put current on it while on continuity mode, or am I just asking too much. I need one to protect me from myself!
I haven't blown any fuses before in this one? What do you want me to try to see if it will hurt it? I've touched it to 48v on ohms and didn't hurt anything!?

Edit just stuck the leads in a 114v on ohms and nothing happened? Just clicked over to ac and all is good

I have been using a blue point meter for 15 years, been a damn good tool. It has the automatic volt and ohm settings, and replacable fuses for ampmeter. I am going to have to replace it soon since it has a loose connection inside and turns off if tilted a certain way. I have a cheap hf meter in all my vehicles and at the house. One of the most valuable diag tools that I use.

Re:

Drop a bill off at your local Home Depot and get a Klein amp clamp. It has all you'll ever need and it's fuse-protected.

Sent from somewhere I was. Gotta keep on movin', if you know what I mean?!

jp fan said:
I have had this one from radio shack and has been a good one on heavy equiment for many years I will look later about a fuse
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-true-rms-46-range-digital-multimeter

I've been using this one for over 10 years. It gets dropped a lot and has spent a night or two out in the rain. It has two replaceable fuses. I have had to replace them twice because I forgot to switch settings when changing my test approach. I'll buy another if this one ever quits. It also comes with a program on cd and a cord for Data Logging. I've never used either of them though.

BROKE AGAIN said:
Drop a bill off at your local Home Depot and get a Klein amp clamp. It has all you'll ever need and it's fuse-protected.

Sent from somewhere I was. Gotta keep on movin', if you know what I mean?!

Only thing I like about it is its magnetic... which doesn't even matter cause half our panels are stainless anyway. Piss on a Klein. Fluke all day every day. I carry a 232 at work for everything quick and easy. Also have a 4-20 mA generator and a few other nicer ones that I don't carry on my tool belt.

What's a bad multimeter?? Out of the handful of people I've ever asked .. About how to use one, with all of the diff dam selections on one.. Everyone of them showed me the same exact setting, and said " you use this one probably all of the time ". So I was wondering, is the rolls-Royce of multimeters any better than my autozone one? And do u know what all the rest of the settings do? I wish I knew how to use Em other than battery and tha dam beep to let u know ur circuit is good! I hate them things honestly. Usually when we have to break one out its not a good thing. Haha

kushKrawlin said:
What's a bad multimeter?? Out of the handful of people I've ever asked .. About how to use one, with all of the diff dam selections on one.. Everyone of them showed me the same exact setting, and said " you use this one probably all of the time ". So I was wondering, is the rolls-Royce of multimeters any better than my autozone one? And do u know what all the rest of the settings do? I wish I knew how to use Em other than battery and tha dam beep to let u know ur circuit is good! I hate them things honestly. Usually when we have to break one out its not a good thing. Haha

Theres a South African guy that does a series on Multimeters that is pretty informative. Youtube mechanicing FTW

Basically, if you have to ask then about any of them will suit you just fine...

With the high dollar meters you get better accuracy and more advanced features..

Most of us just need to know if we have 12 volts or 2 volts or 220 volts...
If you need to KNOW if it's 12.01 or 12.02 and be certain it's accurate then you spend more money..
Working on very expensive and very sensitive equipment requires better tools.

For most of us, as long as you don't have some harbor freight meter you're probably fine.

There is a lot of good info online a out using a dvom... A quick google search should find all the reading you can stand.