• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What is the best programmer for a 2012 Cummins non HO

ALLJ

Got a new 2012 Dodge 3500 with a Cummins and automatic and I.m not really happy with the way it performs . What kind of tuners are most of you guys running on them ? I have a 03 2500 Duramax that will pull circles around it with no tuner I dont know if it is the transmission or a combination of both the trans and engine it shifts into the higher gears way too soon most of the time I end up manually shifting it back down in 4th or 5th it for sure needs some attention any information or opinions will be appreciated

I thought all automatic '12 cummins were HO?

Regardless, delete egr and dpf, add a h&s xrt or mini maxx.

I just done both my dodges. One an 08 and one a 10. Dpf egr delete and a smarty jr. It's not the hp you Need but the control. Smarty gives you instance throttle response.I had a boost gauge On before and after the deletes and more power and control with less boost.h& s is probably great but for my WORK trucks smarty is fine and cheaper. Smarty jr will not let you change your auto shifting tho and smarty sr or h&s will.

Im in the same boat... just bought a new 12 last week, and to say its weak compared to the power stroke and duramax is an under statement. I wanted it for the reliability. I want to get the h&s but dont want to be replacing the trans in six months if it cant handle the hp.
Interested in hearing more about what people are running on the 12s...

Just bought a 10 I'm ok with power. I like to pull my heavier loads at 55 or 60. And in tow haul mode it keeps shifting what programmer would help? Is anyone hollowing out the DPF around bham?

I've got a '11.5 with the 800 HO engine. Did deletes and H&S xrt programmer at 3k miles. I run the lowest setting, 40 hp, and have no need for more power. Trans has stock programming, but an option to purchase trans programming from the xrt. Everyone says the trans programming is awesome.

Keep the info coming this is what I want to hear different opinions I drove this truck to Gray Rock last saturday with a 20ft goosneck and one jeep on it and I had to run it in 4th and 5th gear most of the way with the Automatic I was not happy with it at all will any of these tuners help the fuel milage ? Another question doing the deletes will void the warranty Im assuming what about just a programmer like the H-S does it have any non removable info once you install it ?

ALLJ said:
Keep the info coming this is what I want to hear different opinions I drove this truck to Gray Rock last saturday with a 20ft goosneck and one jeep on it and I had to run it in 4th and 5th gear most of the way with the Automatic I was not happy with it at all will any of these tuners help the fuel milage ? Another question doing the deletes will void the warranty Im assuming what about just a programmer like the H-S does it have any non removable info once you install it ?

I wouldn't do a programmer without doing deletes - your truck will stay in Regen more

if you're not gonna remove the DPF and EGR stay stock. if you are going to remove them go with the H&S and get the trans tuning, it is a must have! Even if you build the trans, suncoast recommends the H&S trans tuning with their parts.

wizzo said:
if you're not gonna remove the DPF and EGR stay stock. if you are going to remove them go with the H&S and get the trans tuning, it is a must have! Even if you build the trans, suncoast recommends the H&S trans tuning with their parts.
The H-S dealer said that the programmer will change the shifting points some anyway is this correct ? what you are telling me is go ahead and buy the trans tune upgrade and be done . Will the trans stand up to the tuner without being built ? not gonna be hot rodding it but it will be pulling a 30ft goosneck and a John Deere 5520 with a 15ft batwing alot or thats what we are trying to get it to do HAHA

I have a DMAX but still recommend the H & S - it has worked well on mine.

I also agree - there is absolutely no point in tuning the truck if you keep the emissions.

cushmaneaglerider said:
What differential gears do you have? My trailer with buggy and rzr wieghs just under 10,000LBS, I have a 2012 Ram 2500 autumatic with 3.73 pulls great.
photo-42.jpg
Ha small world I parked right beside you at Gray Rock ! the white flatbed it has 4-10s

J.A.B said:
I have a DMAX but still recommend the H & S - it has worked well on mine.

I also agree - there is absolutely no point in tuning the truck if you keep the emissions.
I also have 03 Duramax 2500 with no tuner still stock it will outpull this 2012 Dodge

My truck is an 11 - it is twice the truck with all the emissions deleted.

Now I have owned some dodges in the past - an 06 and a 99 both with manual trans. They were great truck but were just slow as heck with a load. The dmax I have now will out pull any truck I have ever owned especially in hilly terrain

I do however hear the the new dodges are pretty bad with the H & S tune and all of the deletes

ALLJ said:
The H-S dealer said that the programmer will change the shifting points some anyway is this correct ? what you are telling me is go ahead and buy the trans tune upgrade and be done . Will the trans stand up to the tuner without being built ? not gonna be hot rodding it but it will be pulling a 30ft goosneck and a John Deere 5520 with a 15ft batwing alot or thats what we are trying to get it to do HAHA

this is what you get with the overdrive tuning (from H&S website):

Raised line pressures (all gears)
H&S Adjusted Part throttle shift points
H&S Adjusted Full throttle shift points
H&S Adjusted Part throttle shift firmness
H&S Adjusted Full throttle shift firmness
Adjusted Torque converter lock-up speeds
TCM Adaptive memory reset
Read / Clear DTC's (OVERDRIVE downloader)
H&S Adjusted Torque Management Tables
Easily returned to stock in minutes for dealer visits
Custom tailored to mate with H&S engine tuning
No TCM removal required, all tuning is done through the factory OBDII port

Will the trans stand up to heavy towing, yes. But you have to remember stock internals will only get you so far. There is also a difference between use and abuse. Adding HP is easy and relatively inexpensive, building a transmission to hold it is not cheap. if you run the h&s on a reasonable hp tune you will be fine.

Thanks Wizzo good info I will post what happens I gonna call and get this stuff on order Im gonna do it all I think from what yall have said do the deletes tuner and air intake and the transmission upgrade