• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What kind of power and tire size will zuk axles hold up to?

fabricator1

I've built plenty of 1 ton buggys but thinking about throwing something small together to ride with all my buds with gayzers. Maybe there's a better axle option? But I thought zuk axles were about the smallest. Not sure what they will hold up to without breaking all the time?

Re:

31's if you leave them open...32 or 33's if you are brave. I am rough on stuff too. I'd use yota axles with zuk power and run 35 or 36s and not worry.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Locked I was breaking stock axles weekly on 31s with the 1.3. Switched to 1.6 8V, stock yotas and 33s and was breaking birfs every other trip or so. I put dirty 30 shafts up front and rode it until i sold it with no more axle problems.

infamous1 said:
Locked I was breaking stock axles weekly on 31s with the 1.3. Switched to 1.6 8V, stock yotas and 33s and was breaking birfs every other trip or so. I put dirty 30 shafts up front and rode it until i sold it with no more axle problems.

Wow, breaking birfs with 33s? I thought I was hard on **** :eek:

Re:

Naw man i just go where no man (on LTB 33s) has gone before!!! LOL I run lions den in that little rig and flopped on the exit and winched out. If it caught an undercut it would pop a birf pretty consistently. Now I ain't no bitch, I give my **** hell. Now I have wheeled with (well they watched mostly) sammis on stock axles and 35s and they claim never to have broke anything.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Re:

I've been thinking a set of those 29 Sxs and locking the front and rear of my Tracker would be fun on the trails. I imagine it would be fun on a samurai too. Especially if ya got the sticky versions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

blacksheep10 said:
how far from lockout to lockout?
A 1k is 66ish tire to tire, and about 63ish wms to wms (having never measured, but wheels are 1" offset). Mine with 4+3 and 10" tires is about 72" tire to tire. I'd go Toy axles and LIGHT on everything, get it on.
Light as possible is what I'm thinking. 1 1/4 chassis probably thin wall chromoly all tigged. Now what for a power plant? All aluminum 4 cylinder? Maybe geo 3 cylinder?

fabricator1 said:
Light as possible is what I'm thinking. 1 1/4 chassis probably thin wall chromoly all tigged. Now what for a power plant? All aluminum 4 cylinder? Maybe geo 3 cylinder?
power to weight, I'd want something lighter than automotive based. So many powersports apps can make an easy 200 horse and be carried with 1 arm (kinda, how bigga boy are ya).
Deciding factor would be what trans.

Re:

Most non-automotive powertrains are pretty damn expensive (large atv/sxs motors), don't have reverse (motorcycles), and don't have good/easy provisions for power steering.

I assume if cost wasn't an issue, the OP would just buy a RZR...?

For something bigger than a "kid buggy" I'd stick with a small car transaxle, or a small rwd suv drivetrain.

Re:

Toy axels aren't that strong either, I broke a birf which took out the inner axel . With 33s in a sami. While winching out of broke foot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Re:

30th6 said:
Toy axels aren't that strong either, I broke a birf which took out the inner axel . With 33s in a sami. While winching out of broke foot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just the front shafts really. I would consider a set of RCV shafts a mandatory upgrade to any Toyota axles that will be wheeled any harder than basic trail riding. Even with small tires.

I wheel an Exo'd rag top zook on 32's and have a lot of experience in the subject. I've got a 1.6 16v with a thorely header/cam, 6.5:1 case gears, Spartan front, spool rear, TG chromos in the front and stock shafts rear. I really don't break much, the trick is to drive smart. That being said, I'm not easy on it at all, I just watch to make sure I'm not trying to get up undercut rocks that are taller than my tires and don't get on the skinny pedal with my steering at full lock.

I've broken a set of chromos shafts (TG are 30 spline liters, others weren't), the spline section of the rear spool, and rear side gears when I was running a spartan in the rear. Every failure was my own fault, including 4th gear WFO assaults on the big hill after a storm at HPO and substantial airtime. YMMV

If you're wanting to ride with RZRs skip the straight axles and get tracker or Toyota IFS, then figure out some type of IRS and trailing arms.

AdamF said:
If you're wanting to ride with RZRs skip the straight axles and get tracker or Toyota IFS, then figure out some type of IRS and trailing arms.
Truth!!

I would love to do a 2 liter manual track/kick with IFS and a trailing arm setup cut all to **** on those sticky 29s.

AdamF said:
Unless your rzr buddies only do rock gardens, the straight axle will get clowned. I love how tough trackers are, give it a 1k lb diet and LT and rock out!
I would bet the rear SA isn't as much of a hindrance as a SA front over IFS

So a tracker ifs front will take some abuse? On say 31s? I could be wrong, but I didn't think there was much aftermarket support