• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What kind of power and tire size will zuk axles hold up to?

fabricator1 said:
So a tracker ifs front will take some abuse? On say 31s? I could be wrong, but I didn't think there was much aftermarket support
If you're building a full bodied rock buggy no, but if you're building something super light that's similar to a RZR yes. They're already geared low, and there are aftermarket steel housings if the aluminum one dies.

Re:

Some aftermarket support , they offer an anvil front housing. I would leave it open and see how it held up initially. I had a 94 8v manual on a 30" Michelin LTX that I trail rode/DD/booze cruised on some and it held up fine open in the front.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Re:

I think you can get a steel housing out of XL7 that will replace the aluminum one in a Tracker. The problem I had offroad with my 16v Tracker on 31s was that I could only use 1st gear in low. I put 29 retreads on it and it helped a lot on the road but I haven't had it off road since but I imagine it would help. Tracker tcase gearing really sucks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think this is my first post, lurk every single day. Trying to learn about crawling and wanting to build a true crawler whenever life will allow.
This is my 97 Geo, 16 valve, 3-speed Auto 31" TSL, 2" body lift, mild trimming is all except a 3/4" puck in the front to get back what I lost from the bumper & winch. I made the bumper. Just installed a spool in the rear, fronts still open.
So far Ive broke one axle, passenger side long axle and I cracked the aluminum housing right on the bottom. Other than that Ive been lucky but dont do any real serious rock crawling like yall do. Some creek beds but mostly oil well roads and logging roads, average trip is 60 to 80 miles.

Thanks fellas.

Its an auto and it has 4.88 axle gears. My next upgrade is going to be 5.13 out of a 4-door, just change the whole 3rd member and move my spool over. Ive been looking for a steel front housing out of a xl7 or a 5-speed, V-6 Vitara for two years, seems like a unicorn. Been on Calamani's back order list for over a year trying to get an anvil. This is mainly my hunting rig, its legal also so no trailer it to ride from my house. I have a Can-Am commander to make the wife happy, she hates the Geo, I would rather ride the Geo most days. We ride with quads and sxs all the time and usually I can keep up, if not their usually wating at the next beer stop.

I've had welded front and rear trackers in my group, open ones that launch 10' high and keep going after landing, and have done toy axles and 38's on one. I LOVE trackers. They are tough as ****. I think the front diff is a weak spot, but sounds like there is a fix. If you tube chassis'd one and kept the front bulkhead or modded a new one and linked the rear I bet you could hurt some feelings if properly executed. Didn't JT somethingorother from NC have a GSXR smaller bike motor, then a busa hooked to a sami trans? possibility. As mentioned, PS could be a problem. Get a suby elec PS unit, maybe whole rack since we aren't talking full hydro

Ive been thinking about Yota Axles, a tracker in my group did them on 36" TSL SX. Now he cant keep up on the trail, 35 MPH is about it but can crawl over boulders and up ledges that I cant. I wanna build something thats in between, prolly trailing arms in the rear but the front becomes the week link like Blacksheep said. I think if you go any bigger than 31" even with the steel front housing it will just move the problem to the axles. I still wanna Baja out the ridge at 50 like I do now which is really hard on the struts, Ive replaced them once since 2007.

sirlance said:
Ive been thinking about Yota Axles, a tracker in my group did them on 36" TSL SX. Now he cant keep up on the trail, 35 MPH is about it but can crawl over boulders and up ledges that I cant. I wanna build something thats in between, prolly trailing arms in the rear but the front becomes the week link like Blacksheep said. I think if you go any bigger than 31" even with the steel front housing it will break pretty easy. I still wanna Baja out the ridge at 50 like I do now.
Just like anything, added weight makes it harder to fight gravity over and obstacle, so light is where its at. RZR's have the tinyest little diffs that are laughable inside. Everything else is light as well, so it works. you just have to let off when the front is about to land and get back in. It is like wheeling a d30 on 35's, never land on the gas. ever. A stripped and tubed tracker would be much the same. No creature comforts of cool stuff like a rzr or factory rig though.

29" swampers on weldered Sammy axles and rock out and hurt feelings. Anything bigger than 29s and you will find weak points fast.

Re: Re: What kind of power and tire size will zuk axles hold up to?

blacksheep10 said:
I've had welded front and rear trackers in my group, open ones that launch 10' high and keep going after landing, and have done toy axles and 38's on one. I LOVE trackers. They are tough as ****. I think the front diff is a weak spot, but sounds like there is a fix. If you tube chassis'd one and kept the front bulkhead or modded a new one and linked the rear I bet you could hurt some feelings if properly executed. Didn't JT somethingorother from NC have a GSXR smaller bike motor, then a busa hooked to a sami trans? possibility. As mentioned, PS could be a problem. Get a suby elec PS unit, maybe whole rack since we aren't talking full hydro
Calmini makes a SLA conversion to eliminate the strut on the front. The newer trackers also have rack steering vs a box on the older ones. The rear on all of them is triangulated 4 link. The trackers are wider than sami at 55" wms.

I had a 1.6 8v, 5spd, welded f&r and cut up on 30" SXs, that would ride with sxs easy and handle a few rocks.

I've got a 2.0l that I have thought about doing the same. I would leave the front open or put in a locker. Also goto a 33" to get more clearance.