• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What so special about the CCUV front axle

Cracksrubi

I just keep seeing a lot for sale and they always seem to ask a higher price. What gives? As far as I know it's still a low pinion comes with a Detroit locker and has 4.56. Besides kingpins what makes it so much better in stock form

From what I have picked up about them is most of em are low mile units and have the non neck down axle shafts. Other than that idk??

They also have posi units in some of them not Detroit lockers. Mine was said to be a cucv an had a open carrier but I welded it anyway.

Re:

M1031 and M1028 had limited slips. The base model M1008 were open. The rare dually front end was 4.88 gears with a limited slip

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The cucv 14 bolt rear has a Detroit.

The fronts are usually just in good shape and don't need several hundred dollars worth of bearings, seals, and brakes to make it usable.

Also the 4.56 gears are low enough that most people don't "have to" regear as opposed to the common axle with 3.73s which is too high unless you are just hill killin.

Just here to echo what others have already said.

4.56s, usually low miles and low wear. They were religiously maintained by the military, so most are in excellent shape. Low enough gearing with proper carrier that most people won't have to regear.

If you think about the cost of gears, bearings, and seals, plus labor for all that, it makes a big difference.

I didn't know about the axle shafts but the other stuff is pretty much what I all ready knew. I was just curious if they're was some big difference I was missing something that would make them stronger vs a regular lp gm Dana 60

Cracksrubi said:
I didn't know about the axle shafts but the other stuff is pretty much what I all ready knew. I was just curious if they're was some big difference I was missing something that would make them stronger vs a regular lp gm Dana 60

I run a CUCV front and my stock 30 splines do kneck down....

dually and single axle were all 4:56 only difference the single wheeled trucks were 14 bolt rears and dually were Dana 60.
I rebuilt most of the shop trucks used by the ky national guard when I was a full time technician did 14 complete sets took them from the locked 4:56 to open 3:73 for better road use
the hubs were the only difference on the front Dana 60
the hardest part of that was scrapping the gears and lockers.

The dually our sister shop had was 4.88. I crawled under it to check. Of course that was the only one I ever saw. So who knows if it was just an odd ball. I know some of the shop trucks we had, they had swapped out M1009 10bolts to get better road RPMs.