• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What was your hobby before offroading?

I raced motocross on quads won 5 state champs..then got into a little freestyle motocross now I'm fat an lazy so I trail ride

lowriders/minitrucks, hill climbing/trail riding on racing 4 wheeler, R/C junk every since i was a small kid.

This was my life from age 14 til I got married. I sold it thinking the cash would be nice going into marriage. I've regretted it many times over the years.
I put almost every dime I made into building it and the rest in pimpin it down every strip I could find.
Air bagged with 1/2 lines/valves, sbc/700r4

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03163.jpg

funny how interests change
I never cared for big jacked up trucks, drive a mildly lifted f150 on 35s now
Would not go riding if it was muddy, seem to end up riding in mud way to often now
Still a sucker for the R/C hobby.

grew up on a farm in ks, so feeding cows in the winter turned into slinging mud in 4x4 with dad. Got hooked at 4, never have looked back. mud turned into climbing hills, which turned into lots of power, suspension, links, etc, which led to rocks and there has always been :drinkers: :driving:

Hare Scrambles , before that drag/street racing. Been wheeling rigs forever even while racing Hare Scrambles.

Neal3000 said:
Rock climbing and whitewater kayaking

Neal, where are you from???

Kayaking was and still is my drug of choice. We were scouting new creeks to run in the clayton Ok. Area, after spending several weekends lost on top of the mountain, i realized in order to get to the creeks i would need a rig to run 80+ on the interstate, and still get tothe creeks when its wet and sloppy.

So i built an xj and its been down hill ever since!

Re: Re: Re: What was your hobby before offroading?

Joc said:
lowriders/minitrucks, hill climbing/trail riding on racing 4 wheeler, R/C junk every since i was a small kid.

This was my life from age 14 til I got married. I sold it thinking the cash would be nice going into marriage. I've regretted it many times over the years.
I put almost every dime I made into building it and the rest in pimpin it down every strip I could find.
Air bagged with 1/2 lines/valves, sbc/700r4

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03163.jpg

funny how interests change
I never cared for big jacked up trucks, drive a mildly lifted f150 on 35s now
Would not go riding if it was muddy, seem to end up riding in mud way to often now
Still a sucker for the R/C hobby.

Very nice dime sir!!

Got my first dirt bike at age four, and then started the motocross thing.
Raced Moto for several years, also rode sport bikes up until march of 2004.
Was diagnosed with spinal cord cancer, and luckily still beating it!
So since I couldn't ride bikes anymore because of partially paralyzed lower extremities,
I sold all dirtbikes, street bikes, bought a jeep from a buddy and been sinking money in it
Ever since!!

In my teens I was into Mini Trucks and Hot Rods, I played drums in a death metal band for about 5 years. Got into guns for awhile. After that I was pretty much into 4 wheeling, it's really the only thing I enjoy doing.

Re: Re: What was your hobby before offroading?

Saved up and bought a 5hp go cart when I was 7. Dad isn't mechanically gifted at all. Took about 100 pulls to start and you better have it to the floor once it starts! Haha After that I traded up to my first 4x4 trail rig. 125 dirt bike to Mojave 250, to bayou 300, to Nissan pulsar, to an 89 bronco II that was sporting a huge dent and a set of 31" buckshots. I wheeled the hell outta that thing. Never did break it. I Kinda miss it.

xjpaddler said:
Neal, where are you from???

Kayaking was and still is my drug of choice. We were scouting new creeks to run in the clayton Ok. Area, after spending several weekends lost on top of the mountain, i realized in order to get to the creeks i would need a rig to run 80+ on the interstate, and still get tothe creeks when its wet and sloppy.

So i built an xj and its been down hill ever since!

Georgia, but we paddled all over, mainly Bama but also Tn, Nc, Wv, and of course in Ga......i haven't quit but am taking a long break mainly because i have two young children and it just didn't feel like the right thing to do something so dangerous with them depending on me, plus i hate being away from them. I miss it though, paddling scared the **** out of me at times but i loved it.

Camping - still do
Mountain biking - just got back into it
Hiking - go when I can

Ricer drag racing-got big into this but then it became more of a job and wasn't as fun when you're expected to be at all the events, and yes this started with a little street racing

I have been off-roading my whole life so to speak!
Started on a dirtbike when I was 4 rode and raced some hare scrambles until I was about 19!
Got into big 4 wheelers, mud and deep water riding, had fun with that til
I got into crawling and RZR riding back in 08!

Neal3000 said:
Georgia, but we paddled all over, mainly Bama but also Tn, Nc, Wv, and of course in Ga......i haven't quit but am taking a long break mainly because i have two young children and it just didn't feel like the right thing to do something so dangerous with them depending on me, plus i hate being away from them. I miss it though, paddling scared the **** out of me at times but i loved it.

being from arkansas we boat when it rains ( rains alot) LOL!!! but kinda same as you said. many trips out east!! all the states you have said. also a few trips west, cali, co, NM

I had just lost a really close friend on the river about the time I got really heavy int the offroad scene. I stayed away for quite a while not wanting to be in a boat at all, the urge has come back this past year> we made 4 trips east this summer and was able to get a few local runs in from rains as well. I like wheeling but nothing replaces the river for me.

Hookers and cocaine. Figured I was spending too much so I got into this. Boy, was I wrong...
:flipoff1:
Nah, kinda been into this before I ever even had anything TO wheel. My first wheeler was a 82 Mustang with a 2300, destroyed the damn thing.
Raced dirt track cars
Had a few BBF trucks
Drawing cars, haven't done it in years and I miss it...

My family always had a couple hunting 4wheelers, but I got a dirtbike when I was 11 and that's when I really got into riding. Raced some harescrambles and did a lot
of single track riding. I never really got into MX. Sold my bike in 07 to buy crawler parts, been down hill every since :****:

been off road my whole life...but was real big in GNC motocross and did the wake boarding thing pretty heavy also.....plenty of debt and scars from both

I grew up on a ranch (still here, bought it) so I have been 4 wheeling just about everything ever since I could drive. Started mud racing when I was 17, which morphed into crawling. I then got into playing poker a lot and played professionally for a few years, and made some good money (how I got my start into ranching). Played live poker a lot in Deadwood/Vegas before I had kids. Then online poker got shut down in 2011, so I don't get to play very much anymore. I also hunted a lot, did a lot of coyote calling/hunting and coon hunting.

Been wheeling all my life. Started wheeling as a kid with my family. Dad used to zip tie blocks to the pedals for me. I been fortunate to wheel all over Cali, Arizona, Nevada, and Mexico. Now I have gotten to wheel the piss out of the Southeast. Total change but it's all good in da woods!

1234391_10153224082050554_1660113181_n.jpg