• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What's the best 14 ply trailer tire

kody29

I had 5 10 ply tires blow the other weekend not I have 5 spares want to get 14 ply what's best to get.

best will be the goodyear g614 (something like that). pretty sure they only come in a 235-85-16 though
ran them on my previous GN. tough and wore well

When I was shopping, all of the 14ply were super expensive and I only have a 14k lb rated trailer, so I got some 12ply radials for under $100 ea new @ Walmart .

If interested, let me know and I'll post up the link.

I'm also curious how you had 5 blowouts in one weekend. Terrible luck?

Most heavier rated trailers I see are running truck tires, but as far as trailer tires go, we are hearing at the shop that Goodyear is starting a new trailer tire line in Ohio. As far as we know these will be the only US made trailer tires available. Everything else has gone overseas. I'm sure because of that they will be a little more expensive but they're telling us that they will be the best things out there

What size wheel? I build trailers for a living,16k gvw and up. For a 16" tire the Bridgestone duravas r250 give the best life and overall driving. We have switched to 17.5 at the shop and the Hercules 245 75Rr17.5 has a 6006 lb weight rating.

The best tires I have ran were the Hancook F19 14 plys, I had them on my race trailer that I grossed 35k with and never had an issue. My normal speed was 75 in the Florida heat as well. I have since sold the trailer but have friends running them now and they all love them and have had zero issues.

I personally won't run anything other than a steel radial truck tire on any trailer I will ever own again.

I used to maintain a fleet of trailers. I think one year we had more than $20,000 in "trailer" tires alone. They are junk in my opinion. Mainly because they aren't designed to be overloaded, over inflated and turning like a skid steer with 10,000lbs on a bias ply sidewall.

If it's me I would truly find the reason you blew 5. That's odd and I would buy a good ole pair or set of truck tires. The other positive is when you get into tiny podunk towns they have 1 kind of trailer tire and the price is 30 gold bars. Every one of those tire shops has at least a couple truck tires to choose from at 40-50% less and in my pinion better

Buy you a American made tire, Goodyear firestone, michallen, etc. and make sure it's a radial also, you'll get more miles out of the radial and it makes the trailer ride better too.

On blowing 5 tires. I'd say it was a combination of make of tires, type of road, and heat.

For myself, I blow four tires in one month. Same tire each time, and about the same place in the road too. I had some important trailer tires on my cattle trailer, and I blow the back drivers tire out on my second load of cows each time. The cap would pill off or the side wall would give out. Got pissed about it and put some firestones radials on it. I've ran two sets in the last 10 years and I have not had a tire blow out on the road as of today.

smbroady82 said:
When I was shopping, all of the 14ply were super expensive and I only have a 14k lb rated trailer, so I got some 12ply radials for under $100 ea new @ Walmart .

If interested, let me know and I'll post up the link.

I'm also curious how you had 5 blowouts in one weekend. Terrible luck?

yes please post up link

and im not sure I have a 40ft gooseneck with 3 7k dexter axles and had 4 blow with in 1hr of each other and the other blew the next day tires where 3 years old.

extremetownie said:
What size wheel? I build trailers for a living,16k gvw and up. For a 16" tire the Bridgestone duravas r250 give the best life and overall driving. We have switched to 17.5 at the shop and the Hercules 245 75Rr17.5 has a 6006 lb weight rating.

16 in wheel