• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

whats the best axle for a high pinion dana 44

dcregar

like the topic says have nitro now and there junk run a 4cyl with 34x10.50x15 tsl they break alot also running a full spool need some input

C'mon. That drivetrain with that size tires.......

I'd say nothing short of tons would work for you. I run 39.5 Pitbull rockers on my armored LJ, waggy 44 front and TJ 44 rear (Yukon fronts, custom alloy rears), 4:1 case........been plenty of places with one ton rigs. thumb.gif

Re: Re: whats the best axle for a high pinion dana 44

Yukons and spicer 760s in a Waggy 44 in heavy XJ with 35s. I wheel nearly every weekend and just yesterday discovered a cracked cap. Joints been in there about a year so cant complain too bad. I drive to/from the trail otherwise id toss in some needless super joints.

For 450$....its hard to beat. However if i had the coin id go RCVs but at 1400 bucks....thats pretty hardcore for this small timer.

tonybolton said:
Yukons and spicer 760s in a Waggy 44 in heavy XJ with 35s. I wheel nearly every weekend and just yesterday discovered a cracked cap. Joints been in there about a year so cant complain too bad. I drive to/from the trail otherwise id toss in some needless super joints.

Does your Waggy 44 not have locking hubs? Or do you just drive with your hubs locked in all the time? ???

I kept killing the "unbreakable warn premiums"...stopped counting at 8.

I tossed in some drive flanges and never looked back.

I have a waggy D44 in my SAS'd Tacoma on 36" TSL's and recently upgraded to Yukon 4340 shafts and Yukon Superjoints. I think it's pretty dumb to put Spicer 760X joints in a front end if you're gonna spend the money on Yukon 4340 chromoly shafts. Soon as that 760x u-joint breaks, guess what happens, the ears on both the inner and outter shafts are rurnt. If you break a Yukon Superjoint, they will replace whatever breaks if the shafts and joints were bought new and you're the original owner of the axles/joints. 760x joints are good, and only about $30 ea, but for $150 ea you can have stronger Yukon Superjoints, helluva warranty, and peice of mind to beat on your **** hard! Kinda like ending up spending a dollar over time when you were trying to save a dime from the start.

And of course, the ultimate way to go would be RCV's if you wanna shell out the dough on them. I was just giving my firsthand input with the Yukon **** in my truck.

So....if i dont want to keep being dumb(even though its been working for nearly a year), what other joint/option do i have in a rig driven to/from the trail at 70mph for 45 min. each way? ???

tonybolton said:
So....if i dont want to keep being dumb(even though its been working for nearly a year), what other joint/option do i have in a rig driven to/from the trail at 70mph for 45 min. each way? ???

TBItoy said:
Does your Waggy 44 not have locking hubs? Or do you just drive with your hubs locked in all the time? ???
What ^^ said.... I don't believe it hurts to run a needless joint when you have manual lockouts and they are unlocked while driving on the highway....so I'm not really sure what the driving part is that you're worried about.

And easy there Mr. Sensitive. I didn't call you dumb, just that IN MY OPINION it's dumb to pay the money for chromoly 4340 shafts and just run a cheap 760x joint. Lot more money to mess up when one of the joints fails before one of the shafts does.

Re: Re: Re: Re: whats the best axle for a high pinion dana 44

TacomaJD said:
I don't believe it hurts to run a needless joint when you have manual lockouts and they are unlocked while driving on the highway....so I'm not really sure what the driving part is that you're worried about.

The part where i stated previously that i do not run manual lockouts due to breaking them all the time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: whats the best axle for a high pinion dana 44

tonybolton said:
The part where i stated previously that i do not run manual lockouts due to breaking them all the time.

I guess if the 760's work for ya then they work for ya....everybody's situation is different, gotta do what's optimal per situation. I guess your other option would be the save some pennies and buy a trailer option.

I've also heard so much about ppl shattering Warn Premium hubs, but I never had a problem out of mine on the Taco, but broke stock axle shafts with 760x joints in the front end twice. Everybody has different luck I guess

TacomaJD said:
I have a waggy D44 in my SAS'd Tacoma on 36" TSL's and recently upgraded to Yukon 4340 shafts and Yukon Superjoints. I think it's pretty dumb to put Spicer 760X joints in a front end if you're gonna spend the money on Yukon 4340 chromoly shafts. Soon as that 760x u-joint breaks, guess what happens, the ears on both the inner and outter shafts are rurnt. If you break a Yukon Superjoint, they will replace whatever breaks if the shafts and joints were bought new and you're the original owner of the axles/joints. 760x joints are good, and only about $30 ea, but for $150 ea you can have stronger Yukon Superjoints, helluva warranty, and peice of mind to beat on your **** hard! Kinda like ending up spending a dollar over time when you were trying to save a dime from the start.

This x100. You WILL break 760x joints. Period. And when the joint lets go, you just ruined an inner and an outer shaft.

Don't ask me how I know. Twice.

ibrokeit said:
This x100. You WILL break 760x joints. Period. And when the joint lets go, you just ruined an inner and an outer shaft.

Don't ask me how I know. Twice.

^^speaketh the troof :****: I seen the pictars of the carnage

So what exactly are you breaking on your Nitros? Breaking shafts, twisting splines? I've been running those in my waggy d44 for a few years with no trouble. Running longfield joints. I probably would have bought RCVs but they didn't come out until about 6 months after I ordered shafts. At the time I was probably only ~$200 under what the RCVs would have run for the shafts and joints I bought. Can't say I have any complaints about what I got.