• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheel base, Tire height, belly height

whiskeymakin

What has been your favorite setup? I've ran a lot of different setups through the years, but I'm curious what everyone else has had work well

Buggy was; 117 wb, 43, 19 belly, good geometry, 8" up/down travel. Sat 3-4" lower than previous ton jeeps I'd built, but I didn't miss it.

Comanche; 115 wb, 39/37, 18/17 belly, excellent geometry, front 7.5" up/8.5" down, rear 10" up/11" down - motion ratio on trailing arm. Better clearance than buggy at diffs with 9's. May use my skid a little more but worth the sacrifice.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

yankster said:
118" wheel base. 43" tires 20"+ belly height.
This. I'm near 25 inches at my belly. It has alot to do with the way your shocks are mounted but I want all the up travel I can get.

whiskeymakin said:
Would yall say 112" is a little short for most of the ledges/climbs around here?
Depends on the vehicle. I had a yota buggy that was 114 on 39.5 and it seemed ok

I have a jeep that is 108wb and 27 belly and it is great for trail riding and ledges but long steep hills it gets light in the front but you can manage with it

I'm working on a smaller rig. For now I'm on 38.5 tsl but may go to 42. I attempted to copy some numbers from the goat built sub frame. The chassis seems to fit around 112 better. 20" belly
Mainly looking for a general consensus

I think it depends more about where your weight is between your axles than worrying about a wheelbase number.
119" WB 43"tars 22ish belly

114" 38.5" 19.5" belly occasionally have the issue of the old diffs hanging up more than the belly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

112ish, 42's, 18/19 belly

works well - like people say, it has a lot more to due with weight balance, smooth skid, axle clearance, suspension setup, etc

112 on a "rockbouncer style" (seats way far back, motor way out front, short ass end) will be totally different than 112 on a "west coast style" (weight more towards the middle etc) chassis

slravenel said:
112ish, 42's, 18/19 belly

works well - like people say, it has a lot more to due with weight balance, smooth skid, axle clearance, suspension setup, etc

112 on a "rockbouncer style" (seats way far back, motor way out front, short ass end) will be totally different than 112 on a "west coast style" (weight more towards the middle etc) chassis

108-112" 39-42" 18-22" belly on a "firewall buggy" style rig does good for a crawler... If you can get the front tires up something it'll usually climb it because of the front weight bias

TBItoy said:
108-112" 39-42" 18-22" belly on a "firewall buggy" style rig does good for a crawler... If you can get the front tires up something it'll usually climb it because of the front weight bias

definitely - i have seen some firewall buggies do some crazy stuff before.

I think its all a happy medium, and all just depends on what you are building

110" WB, 39 reds, 21" Belly, Firewall Buggy. Mine hits right in the middle of Nicks math molaugh molaugh. It works really well for trail riding and crawling just like he said.

116", 43s, 20"(ish) belly. super stable and works great. seems to drag belly a little, but that's ok.

Damn my rig is long.
I was 119" wb, 22" belly on 44's. I liked the wheelbase other than turning. I'm at 122" now with the same belly height and tire size, I'll see how I like it after this weekend.