• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheel spacers: Yes or no?

hokie_yj

I confirmed today what I've been pretty much expecting since I started my build. My Stazworks wheels have too much backspacing (6") to work without running wheel spacers. I really like the wheels, and I really don't want to go through breaking them back down, trying to sell them, and then find wheels that will work.

I had already picked up a full set of Synergy 1.5" spacers just in case. I know there are a lot of people that are very against wheel spacers, and I have seen failure myself. But I really think that most are caused by improper installation and failure to periodically check torque.

I've pretty much decided that I'm just gonna say hell with it and run them. But I'm just looking for other opinions.

Re:

I've read of wheelspacer fails, but never knew anyone personally that had a problem with them or seen anyone on the trail with a wheel spacer related issue.

Re: Re: Wheel spacers: Yes or no?

Ran a 2" 5 lug to 6 lug adapter on an 8.8 axle for 5 years.

Broke axles and ringg/pinions but never a spacer.

As said....RED loctite the spacer bolts.

Bama zuk said:
Ran 2" spacers for 5 years on my last rig no prob.
Had them on this one for the last 4, never had an issue.

I think the Toyota guys run 3" or even larger spacer on their stuff. For all the horror stories i've heard about them, i've never once experienced or witnessed a failure.

Put 30,000+ miles on a set of 1.5's on a heavy toyota truggy.

Clean **** out of mating surface
Loctite of some color
Torque in std mounting pattern
Install other wheel
Torque It

Check spacer torque after a few trips.

One thing i noticed is guys that use impacts on aluminum spacers tend to have trouble with studs getting loose/spinning.

Cheap lug nuts = galled studs :****:

Spend $$$ and get McGard nuts thumb.gif

The most reliable spacers are machined to fit the hubs snug and have a lip for the wheel to rest on as well.

I've had a wheel spacer come off on an old Toyota, but I must say it was my error. I didn't use Loctite, and pretty sure I didn't even tighten it all the way in a rush to get done.

Other than a stupid mistake of my own, I've ran plenty of them and never had a problem.

I run them on my Toyota f/r, no problems. They get re-torqued about every 3 times ( every time I break :dunno:)

I ran adapters on my DD f-150 for 3-4 years with heavy 20s & 35s. Never had a problem out of them either except for a lug getting broke off from being overtightened.

**** I been running 1.5" ebay spacers on the back of my Duramax for 150K miles.

No issues, just installed them correctly and used loctite

I ran them on my heep back when I drove it to and from the trail and wasn't smart enough to use locktight. Never had a single issue and mine were ebay cheap one too. I did check them from time to time but they were always the same as the last time I torqued them after the first couple of times.

Latest posts