• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheeling with kiddos

The Luke

How old was everyone's kids the first time they went "wheeling"? I'd be fine with hitting bunny trails all day if I got to take the little man. I figure he'll need to be around two before he can go.

Boyce will be 3 in August, I plan on taking him to a park this spring when it warms up.

We ride around the house all the time and he always wants to go through the "jungle" (woods/power line) to go check the mail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girl was 4 when I started taking her. She likes it but gets out at some spots that scare her.

Got 3 kids. Almost 13b, 11g, 5g they have been riding since about 2. Carried all 3 when the baby was 2, she fell asleep on some rough bumps. If you take them when they are young make sure to change diapers often and keep plenty of cool water on hand. Also dont forget small hand friendly foods they can eat as they ride. All 3 of mine love it. The almost 13 drives me around alot, he has take my stockish jeep up lower and middle brokefoot a couple different times, with me spotting. Once broke rear spider gears, and once a ujoint in an axle and was afraid I would be mad. Told him it was ok it happens. He helped make the repairs. Told him if he listens to others and breaks I will take it from his rear and he will make the repair. Helps him focus on me more when I have to spot for him then.

biggest problem I see with this is taking them when they're too young and not having the neck strength if something happens. I personally waited until both kids were 9yo and they started driving at that age as well.

that and having them belted/harnessed in correctly.

We€™ve taken my nephew with me several times. Been riding since he was three. We€™ve always just ratchet strapped his car seat in and I kick him out on anything big. But the ladies get out too, so it€™s always worked out well. Don€™t judge his harnesses here. We were on a lunch break
c1283efdc3300cbcf14adddeac8a304e.jpg

My oldest was 5 and her first day she said "I can't do this, I can't do this it's crazy" by the end of the day she was bouncing all over the place

Super excited. Standing up in the back seat jammin to Hanna Montana. Lovin life

She's almost 15 now and drives a lot. My truck, moms car, our buggy. I think making them physically fearless young is a great thing.

Then teaching them that poor emotional decisions are the ones that hurt the most.

Our youngest was 3 her first time. She falls asleep every single ride out. Looks like a zombie in the back seat. She's 5 now and could take it or leave it.

I say as soon as that kid can hold his head up, get him in that seat and start building memories. You only get a short time, then they're gone

jeeptj99 said:
Wait he's your nephew???
Might as well be. That family is more family to me then my own blood. I'd claim him. He was born almost exactly 9 months after my wedding and they named him Lukas.

My boy was 3 when I actually took him on a ride but we went on our trails at 2. Anything too bad he and the wife get out. For the most part, if you aren't being stupid, it's no worse than being on the road. Probably safer if they have proper seats and belts. He's been riding on my lap in equipment since he could hold his head up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Luke said:
Might as well be. That family is more family to me then my own blood. I'd claim him. He was born almost exactly 9 months after my wedding and they named him Lukas.

I thought that's what you said at hale but I've heard **** wrong before. That's cool though. Blood don't make family to me.

18 months in his car seat for trail riding. In all reality that was probably way to young. Ours are 4 and 8 now and they love to go. When the youngest was 2 he slept all the way out the top of Brokefoot but their neck bouncing around scares me....esepcially with big melon heads like my kids have. (See KMcminn's avatar) :rolf:

money_pit_yj said:
...but their neck bouncing around scares me....esepcially with big melon heads...

^ This

When I finish my new rig up (hopefully around May), my son will have just turned 3. In time, I hope he comes to love wheeling as much as I do.