• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

When is to cold for spray paint?

mikemounlio

I normally don't do much work in the winter but i want to fully tear apart my buggy and repaint it before next years riding season starts. I have a big torpedo heater and have room in the garage to hang up plastic (paint both). Should i use the heater to warm up the plastic paint both or just adjust the dry tires of the paint to match how cold it is

With a spray gun, automotive or industrial, 60*f is the coldest I paint. I paint heavy equipment and automotive, but with a spray can....rock it out if it ain't freezing,

Have you made any changes to the buggy yet? If so, any pics?

As for the question: what does the spray can you plan to use say? They usually have directions on the back that spell this out. The moisture in the air we have now, will play a role too.

I have not bought spray yet. I plan to use normal rustoleum so i can do touch ups easy. I like to keep my stuff looking good.

I have done a few small things so far. I made a shelf in the back for a tool box and a coller, cut the plastic for the sides and just zip tied them on for now. I have spent most of the time fixing small stuff like fluid leaks and tires. Now i have to fix a head gasket (not sure what caused it to fail tho). Ill take pictures of the rebuild and post them.

Re: When is to cold for spray paint?

I use Rustoleum as well. Good stuff. In the winter I run my space heater for a bit just to warm my project. Then go to town. Works great.

I will say though that if you use a gloss ENAMEL you cant spray a clear coat over it because the chemicals in the clear coat turn the enamel to gum.

I personally like the enamel better than reg paint. It seems to be a bit tougher

Im not sure which style paint im going to use. I will match it to the high temp paint. I want the block to be the same color or just match. Im going to buy each different type of paint and try them out. Ill pick out the best finish and go from there.

Re: When is to cold for spray paint?

One thing I've learned is to make sure the paint itself is warm. Leave it inside your house till its time to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humidity matters a lot more than temp. Too high and a gloss paint will "haze" over. I personally try not to spray automotive paint under 65* though, it wants to run off in the floor.