• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where is your ls rev limiter set?

kmcminn said:
:smoke:

Is 8k or 9k even b a possibility in a LS platform engine? Reason I ask is I heard one at Srrs GR and it sounded crazy high rpms. No turbo regular headers.

If my memory serves me I think my LT is 5200.

Mine sounds like its screaming but its low 6's

kmcminn said:
:smoke:

Is 8k or 9k even b a possibility in a LS platform engine? Reason I ask is I heard one at Srrs GR and it sounded crazy high rpms. No turbo regular headers.

If my memory serves me I think my LT is 5200.

I had this conversation with Mast about my 402 stroker motor. With the components in my engine it will turn 8k all day long but it is set at 7k because power starts to drop off around 6800.

I would stick to around 6k on a factory engine but I have seen them turn higher without any issues but they will eventually let go. A lot of it has to do with condition of the engine. Most bouncers are probably running 100k+ mile junkyard motors. It is really amazing the abuse an LS will take to be honest.

5,250 on Solo Buggy. Gen I 383 stroker motor. Not sure on 38 Special, whatever Mast has it on, but it is on up there, I don't recall ever hitting it.

I was wondering how much power there was to be had on these engines close to 7k? I figured it dropped off significantly, in stockish form, after 6k.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    935.6 KB · Views: 115
6500, and my tuner did a different style rev limiter, it doesn't hammer like most when they hit it, it slowly closes TB and then re opens. He said he can change it if I really wanted but I haven't felt a need, said its better for it.

LS3 LPE ported heads w/ BTR valves, springs, cam etc
Around 550

6200, on my boosted LY6. I'm not laying on the limiter all day though.

my little 5.3 is set to 7100, We'll back her down one of these days that's too much. Man it sounds so beautiful when it gets there though. I don't do it often. loller.gif

**** I wanna set mine super Low and stay on it all the time. I really love that sound :****:

A rod or bottom of a piston let go. Got lucky and cam is still good. Going to run another 5.3 might set this one to 6200. Probably build a forged 6.0 or 408 this winter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 121
Casey said:
**** I wanna set mine super Low and stay on it all the time. I really love that sound :****:
. You are like me driving, if we want to get on the rev limiter, we better set it around 3000 rpm! :****:

Old School 388ci set at 7500 when wet, 7000 dry. Not sure what it would do without it and not sure I want to know :dblthumb: :driving:

Unless mine was changed by Sosebee/Sam when they did my new tuning its set at 6800 and that is with an all forged bottom end and a stroker kit.

2000 Camaro LS1 stroked to 383.

croes said:
6500, and my tuner did a different style rev limiter, it doesn't hammer like most when they hit it, it slowly closes TB and then re opens. He said he can change it if I really wanted but I haven't felt a need, said its better for it.

LS3 LPE ported heads w/ BTR valves, springs, cam etc
Around 550
I would like to know more... Any specifics?

redneckengineered said:
Mast does something similar. When I hold my throttle to the floor it just goes to wherever the limit is set (in my case 7000) and stays there. No fluttering, no bouncing. You essentially never even know you're against the limit unless you look at the tach.

I'd prefer that type of limiter but don't have that option with a cable throttle body. I don't like to bounce off the typical limiter and usually try to back off a couple 100 rpm when I'm against it. Would be nice to just keep it mashed to the floor. Wide open and smooth running sounds way better and Has to be easier on parts.

JSmithey said:
I'd prefer that type of limiter but don't have that option with a cable throttle body. I don't like to bounce off the typical limiter and usually try to back off a couple 100 rpm when I'm against it. Would be nice to just keep it mashed to the floor. Wide open and smooth running sounds way better and Has to be easier on parts.

Yep but the nut swingers won't jizz in their pants so that's the downside.

Picked up a 120k mile lq9 today out of a 2006 escalade. Going to do cam, valve springs, push rods, trunion upgrade and set limiter at 6200. Might throw in some arp rod bolts too. Would love to spin it to 6500 but I'm a little nervous after trashing the last motor.

I have noticed that the rock crawling/rock bouncing world is about the only group that lives in the revlimitet. Every body else uses it to protect their engine in the event of a missed gear or driveline failure. I have a big chevy (489) and have it set at 7200. I am not a bouncer but I can make mine hit the limiter but under normal hot rodding it will not hit. My engine is built very well and will stand hits of 7500, but only makes power to 6 grand, so I stay away from that. Most motors that aren't built to stand 7 or 8 grand won't make power there and don't need to go there. But damn, they do sound good up there, don't they!!