• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where were you when the world stopped turning?

ETO said:
I was at work about 5 miles from the Atlanta airport. I was a welder for a company in the airline industry that did alot of work for Delta and it shut us down for a while none of our truck were allowed in or out of the airplane hangers for a while till they figured out what was going on. No one wanted to believe something like this could happen to us even though it was right there in front of our eyes, got to say that was the quietest i have ever heard that place.
I work night shift at Delta in the Hangar, I got off work and went home when my Daughter called and said she had forgot to take something into work, I was returning from her job driving down the road when the first plane hit, I walked in the house and turned the tv on right before the second plane hit. Shortly after I received a call from my Foreman stating that they had just shut down all commercial flights, he told me that I could call my whole crew and let them know that they did not have to come in to work that night if they didn't want to. Me and 2 guys off my crew went on in to work, on of those guys wife worked for AMEX in a building adjacent to the Towers and had did not get word his wife was OK until about midnight that night, we stood by airplanes all over the tarmac like security guards. I remember the next day just sitting on my deck looking at the sky that is usually full of planes making final approach from the south, and it was empty, I cried like a baby. God bless all our hero's and all the families that were affected by this cowardly act. I also worked this year on Sept.11, the very first thing I did was go out on the pad and watch some planes land. I shot this picture at sunset 9/11/11

2011-09-11_19-48-45_724.jpg

I was in high school chemistry class, we got to watch it on TV...

I couldn't believe that some of my teachers that day still made us turn off the tvs and radios and have class like normal... My Spanish teacher said "Well, until they attack our school, we're still going to have class"... I remember many of the students getting really pissed, but thinking back on it, I think that was her method for dealing with it, as she was retired USAF/Reservist and her husband was a Natl Guard officer.

I was a route salesman for Dairy Fresh in Columbus,Ms and in the walk-in cooler of the local Sunflower stacking milk. One of the cashiers I dated earlier that year came busting in talking about us being under attack with tears in her eyes. She gave me a big hug and started apologizing for things she had said that led to our splitting. I was thinking she was blowing coal trying to get back together and dismissed it. She walked out and I went back to stacking milk and then when I walked out of the cooler to find the back of the store desrted was when it hit me. I found the entire store, customers and all the employees, at the front of the store watchin the tv as they replayed the 2nd plane hitting. we stood around watching it for about 30 minutes before people started shuffling out. It was a surreal day as I finished my route and seeing the fear and anger building at each stop.

Latest posts