• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which coil overs to run

Before WOD jumped in and said Fox or Radflo, I was going to suggest call rocky and have him set you up with Radflo or Fox laughing1 Getting your springs close on the first shot is as big a deal to me as nearly anything, because if you're way off on springs you'll spend a bunch of money trying to get right. An experienced shop will be a great resource for getting you the product, having someone to answer questions and get you in the ballpark on shims (valving plates) and spring rates. Shocks are not limit straps either, get those too.

blacksheep10 said:
Getting your springs close on the first shot is as big a deal to me as nearly anything, because if you're way off on springs you'll spend a bunch of money trying to get right. An experienced shop will be a great resource for getting you the product, having someone to answer questions and get you in the ballpark on shims (valving plates) and spring rates. Shocks are not limit straps either, get those too.

and air bumps (or bumps of some sort). I'm lucky I didn't blow my COs out before we added the airbumps. couple of landings that were pretty rough on them.

good point on the springs too.

You guys mentioning springs is great. A lot of times people spend time trying to tune their shocks around the wrong springs. It honestly will not get you where you want to be.

The way you get a good ride out of your vehicle is to

Pick the correct shock and bump stops for what you want to do
Pick the correct springs
Valve the shocks, set the dual rate slider, and bump stops.

If you don't go in that order then you won't end up with all that you can get.

Question. Does charge set ride height or springs? I know with air shocks charge sets ride height and oil level sets damper as well as valvung.

My Bilsteins were the ****, minus the leaking down. But 2 years on the charge can't be that bad.

But Woodley is the man on shocks, proved it time and time again. I'd do whatever he says.

SAWs are really nice too. In a 2.5 they are an inch or so shorter than kings and makes packaging ez if that's an issue. They are also really ez to pull the springs and revalve. Search the spring rat thread on pirate, it had a ton of good info about setting up your spring rates and as others said will save a lot of money! Good luck.

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
I was told 200 psi in a 2.5", but how nitrogen in a 2.0" coilover with a reserve.

I have bilstein 9100 rockcrawler co's. They told me for trail riding/ crawling they'd do 175 psi. I did just that and no complaints.

Re: Re: Which coil overs to run

al1tonyota said:
My experience .02 I had bilstein remote res. on my old buggy and my dad has fox remote res. on his they are both good shocks but from a repair standpoint the bilsteins are easier to work on as in the threads go down the body on the bilsteins to where as the threads go up on the fox. Example is if the dual rate slider was damaged or you wanted to change the upper spring you would have to discharge the shocks nitrogen and lose some oil on the fox because of having to remove the shrader valve or remote res. hose. This maybe something that a lot of people don't mind but it was a pita for me!
I have a 2yr old set of fox 2.0s. You can remove a snap ring from the lower spring seat and take everything out the bottom without removing any nitro.

paradisepwoffrd said:
I have a 2yr old set of fox 2.0s. You can remove a snap ring from the lower spring seat and take everything out the bottom without removing any nitro.

Mine are the same way , I can pull my springs off the shock without any tools in about 5 seconds

Joe Eck

Re: Re: Re: Which coil overs to run

paradisepwoffrd said:
This! Unless the older styles are different, all you gotta do is remove the snap ring from the bottom and it all comes apart. No nitrogen discharging or other hassles. Done mine like this twice.

I looked at all of them before buying and it's hard to beat Fox 2.0's. Best performance for the money and should be plenty for your application. Every part needed to rebuild/replace is available easily via Poly Performance and several other places.

pholmann said:
Where's the best place to get springs? Poly? WOD? Definitely looking toward the fox shocks.

why not order from WOD? they already offered to help ya and they should be able to get you dialed in pretty fast too :dblthumb:

I believe al1tonyota was talking about changing the dual and triple rate sliders. The dual rate slider always comes off easy with out tools. Though on some shocks you can thread the cancelation nuts off down the body of the shock. That will let you install triple rate hardware and spring from the bottom of the shock. I know sway a ways are this way. I'm guessing the Bilstiens are too after reading his post. It's more work on a King, Fox , and Raflo because you have to put the triple rate slider and tender spring on from the top of the shock.

I will definitely check WOD out. Thanks to everyone for all the input, individuals and vendors. Very helpful information.

Latest posts