• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wilwood brake issue

mckeddie

Finally got my new buggy out today to test out. It has a new wilwood master and pedal installed by the previous owner. I've noticed after sitting in the driveway for a few days, the calipers lock up and I have to hit the bleeder valves on the front calipers to relieve pressure before I can move it.

When we went out tonight, after driving for a bit, I notived it was losing power, then realized it was actually all 4 calipers starting to drag. By the time we got 3/4 of the way back to the truck, I was having to keep the pedal pinned to the floor to keep doing 5 mph until I finally overheated the engine.

It's a manual master cylinder. Not sure if the bore, but it's rear engine buggy w the master mounted all the way at the front of the chassis. The reservoir is completely full, so I'm going to let some fluid out to allow for expansion when it gets hot, but that doesn't explain why it builds pressure just sitting there.

any other suggestions? Would the rod being out of adjustment cause it to build pressure while sitting?

Were residual valves installed? If so, one may have failed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-13783

wil-260-13783_xl.jpg

Ideal for drag racing, street rods, and many off-road applications, inline residual pressure valves from Wilwood retain a minimum brake line pressure to help eliminate excessive pedal travel. These 2 lb. valves are used in disc brake applications where the master cylinder is mounted below the horizontal plane of the calipers--in other words, where fluid drainback occurs, causing excessive brake drag. With drum brakes, 10 lb. valves are used to compensate for return spring tension in the drums. Wilwood residual pressure valves are made from billet aluminum and color-coded for easy identification.

Loosened up the rod on the pedal, and either it helped, or there's just a **** ton of air in the lines (which I'm sure there is ).

manual brakes usally feel like pushing rubber ball and small amount of air in the lines makes it even worse.

My old buggy had manual wildwood dual master and pedal setup on it and would do the same thing occasionally, never figured out why, I actually thought it was a caliper sticking and replaced one. It did not have the residual valves in it.