• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wiring

Charlie just stay away from acid core solder as it seems to make a mess. As for pos or neg on the disconnect if you think about it, it makes no difference. Electricity travels in a circle or "circuit" so it's just a matter of which end of the circuit is longer than the other when disconnected. I prefer to use the switch for positive because (assuming you're working with a neg ground) you can use the switch to possibly connect things for a power source.
I stole this from the net.
When changing a battery, battery manufacturers recommend disconnecting the ground connection first to prevent accidental short-circuits between the battery terminal and the vehicle frame.

Charlie just stay away from acid core solder as it seems to make a mess. As for pos or neg on the disconnect if you think about it, it makes no difference. Electricity travels in a circle or "circuit" so it's just a matter of which end of the circuit is longer than the other when disconnected. I prefer to use the switch for positive because (assuming you're working with a neg ground) you can use the switch to possibly connect things for a power source.
I stole this from the net.

Acid core flux wicks into the strands of the wires and will continue to erode them--yes DO NOT use Acid core.

Acid core is BAD for our application, it's to be used for plumbing if I'm not mistaken. I use a combination of soldering and butt connectors with either stink wrap or electrical tape, depending on where I am when said wiring occures:) happy wheelin!

So when doing the wiring on your rigs what do you use and how do you do it

Solder verses crimp
Screw verses blade switches

Soldered connections done correctly is better than crimped.
The wires need to be spliced (twisted together) before soldering.

32NE0334.GIF

Screw terminal switches with crimped ring terminals on the wires.

Latest posts