• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

WOD driveshaft bearing

slravenel said:
I am curious about that too.

I know that I have seen several buggies with these carrier bearing setups in a non hard mounted drivetrain setup. I wonder if the movement is just not enough to hurt them?

Curious to see what WOD says here...

X2 and what Heman has to say.

bjeep said:
Now I seen that Ryan said to not put a slip in. But with it bushing mounted I don't see how that will work. :dunno:

Yeah, I was skeptical. I guess I still am a little bit, but he's the man that designed it so I'm taking his word on it. I'm sure the bearings will wear prematurely, but they'll be easy and pretty cheap to replace.

If your drive train is hard mounted we want to see the bearing mounted solid. We also want to see a solid drive shaft between the bearing and transfer case.
There is no reason that a slip will not be okay in this set up it will just add cost for no benefit.

If the drive train is soft mounted there are two ways I would want to see the bearing and shaft installed.

#1 The carrier bearing hard mounted and a slip in the shaft
#2 The bearing mounted on bushings and no slip in the drive shaft.

We have a lot of people out there running this set up with the bearing mounted solid and a solid drive shaft while having soft mounted drive train and no issues. I see this set up having potential for failure knowing the drive train can flex and the shaft and bearing can't.

I hope this helps you guys out.

We are putting together a kit that will include the bearing, mount, drive shaft tube, and a weld yoke. This will be available on our web site and you will be able to pick all of the parts and options that you want from simple drop down boxes. This thread has been good for us to see what you guys want.

Adam

Woodlee said:
If your drive train is hard mounted we want to see the bearing mounted solid. We also want to see a solid drive shaft between the bearing and transfer case.
There is no reason that a slip will not be okay in this set up it will just add cost for no benefit.

If the drive train is soft mounted there are two ways I would want to see the bearing and shaft installed.

We have a lot of people out there running this set up with the bearing mounted solid and a solid drive shaft while having soft mounted drive train and no issues. I see this set up having potential for failure knowing the drive train can flex and the shaft and bearing can't.

We are putting together a kit that will include the bearing, mount, drive shaft tube, and a weld yoke. This will be available on our web site and you will be able to pick all of the parts and options that you want from simple drop down boxes. This thread has been good for us to see what you guys want.

Adam

Thanks Adam.

I was thinking it needed a slip with poly mounts. :dblthumb:

Woodlee said:

Adam

Adam - Do you know when this kit will be available? I am coming up on needing one soon and ive planned to go this route.

Woodlee said:

Adam

So in order to make this happen the "right way" i need a bit of a redesign as I was planning on mounting with no slip, no bushing...but drivetrain mounted on poly bushings (at the motor mounts, the back of the trans, and the back of the Atlas).

I don't have a lot of room to add in big bushings, etc. I can however possibly add some flat poly between the 2 sides of your carrier bearing mounting plates. What are your thoughts on (with no slip in the midshaft) cutting down some poly bushings and putting them on the bolts between the two plates that bolt together? Would that suffice as a "bushing", or would that cause too much movement and vibration in the shaft.

bbtank45 said:
Adam - Do you know when this kit will be available? I am coming up on needing one soon and ive planned to go this route.
X2 about to do a motor swap and am probably going to need a 2 piece front shaft now to dodge the trans.

slravenel said:
So in order to make this happen the "right way" i need a bit of a redesign as I was planning on mounting with no slip, no bushing...but drivetrain mounted on poly bushings (at the motor mounts, the back of the trans, and the back of the Atlas).

I don't have a lot of room to add in big bushings, etc. I can however possibly add some flat poly between the 2 sides of your carrier bearing mounting plates. What are your thoughts on (with no slip in the midshaft) cutting down some poly bushings and putting them on the bolts between the two plates that bolt together? Would that suffice as a "bushing", or would that cause too much movement and vibration in the shaft.

I think the poly between the mounts would work out. I wouldn't just cut down the poly bushings and use them as washers though. I would order a piece of UHMW and put in there. The plastic will be firm but move instead of breaking I bet. You could order that from www.mcmaster.com.

I would also say to put this together using 1/2" locking nuts on the mount. That way if any thing did move then you wouldn't be running into a problem.

We should have the new bearing and kits up on the site with in a week or two.

Woodlee said:
I think the poly between the mounts would work out. I wouldn't just cut down the poly bushings and use them as washers though. I would order a piece of UHMW and put in there. The plastic will be firm but move instead of breaking I bet. You could order that from www.mcmaster.com.

I would also say to put this together using 1/2" locking nuts on the mount. That way if any thing did move then you wouldn't be running into a problem.

Awesome, thanks; that makes perfect sense. What thickness would you recommend for the UMHW - would 1/4" be enough?

Latest posts