• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired WTB hydro assist steering for TOYOTA

HageredYota85

YOTA POWER!
Im looking for a couple of things to piece together a hydro assist setup on my 4Runner. I already have a tapped IFS steering box and 6" single ended ram.

Things i need include:
1-a high volume steering pump (preferably trail gear since its a direct bolt on)
2-fluid reservoir
3-fluid cooler
4-all the hoses and fittings
5-axle mounting brackets

Let me know what ya got! i got the $$$ :fish: thumb.gif

Use what you have and drill the restricter's out on your factory pump, I bought the expensive kit from trail gear with the high volume pump,bracket,cooler,etc. for my 1st toy build and it worked great. Sold that truck and have done 3 other ones this way and really can't tell much difference especially considering the nearly $500 saved! Drilled out the restricter's on all 3 of the stock pumps running no coolers with factory reservoirs! Factory reservoir worked fine on the ones I did with a 6" ram, wasn't big enough for the 8" ram I did on a Dana 60. All the pumps whined a little till all the air was bleed out of the system then they ran quite. I run royal purple through mine but don't know that it's nessary. Worst case scenario you don't like it and you replace your pump,reservoir and add oil cooler at a later date. I actually bought the cheap kit from trail gear for the three other trucks that included the 6" rams,brackets and hoses( $239 sourced through fronteir4x4) and honestly I couldn't be happier. Sorta pissed that I wasted the coin on my first build after seeing how well this way worked!! Just a thought!

i have never heard of anybody modifying a stock Toyota steering pump. this sounds interesting. give me more info please. I cant find any information on how to do this modification.

I have done some reading up on it today. I will be going with aftermarket. Its an easy mod, but it seems like it causes the pumps to typically fail. My 40" IROKS are difficult enough to turn when the power steering goes out! I imagine turning them with a dead hydro ram and steering box would be even more difficult. :****:

we did the stock pump and drilled out restricter valve like said above,and taped into the toy steering box. works good, toy axles and small ram,36sin swampers,, but you need to use royal purple,, i used b&m trick shift,,, and a cooler,, both of these will help keep the pump cooler with no whining